Chapter 16: Home Invasion

Star City

September 10, 3:15 PST

"Did you get any of that?" Kate asked in a whisper as her and Emily crossed the classroom threshold on the way to freedom.

Emily glanced at the blonde out the corner of her eye, eyebrow quirking up with a small smirk.

"Stupid question, of course you did. What do I have to do to just like have a sliver of your brain?" Kate groaned, throwing her head back. Emily laughed in response, nudging Kate's shoulder with hers.

"You're smart Kate, don't worry about it. How about you come to my house this weekend and I can tutor you?" Emily's offer made Kate pause, something settling out of balance in her gut. Which didn't make sense, but Kate paused.

"Maybe, I don't know what Dinah and Oliver have in store this weekend." Kate shrugged, taking note of the way Emily's shoulders tensed. "I appreciate the offer though, really. And thank you again for all your help today."

"Not a problem, you have my number. Just text me if you have any homework questions, okay?" Emily offered her services just as they exited the school doors, them and all the other students of Starlight prep flooding the grand staircase on their way home for the weekend.

Kate gave a small grin and a nod, looking forward as she stepped foot on the staircase. Her eyes falling onto a group at the bottom. Two red heads, two blondes, and two heads of jet-black hair. Kate didn't see the darkening look on Emily's face, her attention locked. A smile breaking onto her face, confusion dancing in her eyes and she bid Emily goodbye over her shoulder.

"What are you guys doing here?" Kate breathed, eyes bright as they travelled across the faces of her teammates and friends.

"You don't call, you don't write. Besides to this one," Wally dramatically moaned, throwing an arm around her shoulder, shaking her lightly before turning her to face Robin on her other side, "Honestly Kate, you're breaking our hearts."

"Don't make her feel bad Wally!" M'gann scolded from Conner's side, across from the speedster, Kate, and Robin. Artemis on Wally's other side, Kaldur finishing the circle beside Artemis. His own warm smile on his face as he watched Kate push Wally away from her. The red headed boy acting as if he had been shot, leaning onto Artemis's shoulder crying about his heart shattering. The taller blonde girl shoving him off of her, leading to Wally falling on his butt on the ground. The rest of the group trying but failing to hold back their laugher at the boy's complaints from the ground.

"We were simply checking in, you haven't been around the cave recently." Kaldur stepped in once everyone had calmed down, and Wally was back on his feet. Kate just now realizing the scene they had made and feeling her cheeks heat up at the stares from other students around them registering in her consciousness.

"It's kind of a long story... Not one for here." Kate made a gesture with her head to the imposing building behind her and the others around them.

"I see, how about we get something to eat? Discuss over food, if you are willing that is." Kaldur optioned up and Kate hesitated, fighting the urge to shut them out. And for once she won over the nagging voices in her head.

"O-okay. Yeah. Um... there's this great diner a couple blocks over if that works." Kate looked around to see nodding heads from the group. The happy vibe dampened slightly. All of them knowing it was not good news Kate had to share.