Chapter 15: Mortal Wounds

Star City

September 7, 05:15 PST

Kate's eye fluttered open, her head still swimming from sleep and remnant effects from a concussion and the drugs they gave her in Bialyia. Which were proving to linger in her system and make her sluggish.

Her string lights glowing a dim orange that didn't bother her eyes too much, her blinds drawn shut tight and no music played on her vinyl player like it normally did. Kate had not been having a good time the last couple of days since she got back and had her memories restored. Which almost didn't happen due to her head trauma and the worry it would scramble her brain trying to put it back together.

At the end of the day her panicking at being in some weird white room in a medical gown is what pushed Dinah to risk it. It was strange to remember, not remembering. In a way Kate was still confused as to what happened, sitting through the debrief was a challenge and she didn't really hear anyone talking.

"Kate."

The girl's eyebrows pinched together at the voice in her head, her brain pinging in protest. Hot tendrils of pain sparking at her temples and behind her eyes.

"Listen to me."

Kate groaned, her eyes slamming shut as her hands came to her head. Curling into a ball to try and get away from the pain. And failing.

"It's your mother. I just want to talk."

~~*~~

Kate's eyes shot open, as did her body. Gagging and trying to breath at the same time from the sudden rush of movement. Turning over on her side Kate emptied her stomach into the bucket Dinah had set up as this had been a trend with her concussion the last couple of days.

Dinah had kept her home for the last three days, letting her rest, trying not to feel upset when there wasn't instant recognition in Kate's eyes when she looked at her.

Dinah knew it was only because the last two missions of Kate's that left her with mild concussions piling on top of each other and then getting mind blasted by Psimon on top of it all and then drugged. It was a dire mix that led to where Kate was now mentally. Thankfully there had been a lull in team missions so Kate wasn't missing out on that part. But she hadn't gone to school either, following the concussion protocol.

The voice still echoed in her head, making the pounding worse than it was and causing her to gag again. Dry heaving loudly.

"Kate?" Dinah's voice cut through the pounding and Kate's body relaxed at the feeling of soft hands on her back. "It's okay, don't fight it."

Kate dry heaved a couple more times before stopping, coughing at the burn of stomach acid in her throat and the aftertaste coating her mouth. Dinah silently handing her a glass of water that Kate took and drank heavily from before Dinah pulled it away.

"You'll make yourself sick again."

Kate just huffed and sat back against her headboard, leaning her head back against the wood, closing her eyes.

"My head hurts." Kate mumbled and Dinah leveled a worried look at her that Kate didn't see.

"Here." Dinah offered her two pills from the prescription bottle on Kate's bedside. The alarm bells had been ringing in her head for days. All the red flags that where documented with concussions Kate was showing and Dinah knew it was going to be a long recovery period if they didn't try some alternative to rest and pain meds.