Chapter 12: Denial

MOUNT JUSTICE

August 19, 19:39 EDT

"Initiate combat training." The computer's monotone voice assistant spoke over the intercoms, counting down from three. Goldfinch, Miss Martian, and Artemis standing off to the side as Kaldur and Superboy go at it in the lit up ring.

"Kaldur's nice, don't you think?" Artemis asked coyly, looking at M'gann out of the corner of her eye. Kate's eyebrows scrunching in confusion at the seemingly random question. "Handsome, commanding... You should totally ask him out."

"He's like a big brother to me," M'gann denied, "But you know who would make the cutest couple? You and Wally." Kate wanted to be anywhere else right now but she could see it. The whole opposites attract thing. Like something out of a book, or movie.

She didn't hate boy talk, it's just something she has zero experience in and therefore would prefer to not do it. But just because she didn't want to be here doesn't mean she didn't appreciate romance; she was still silently rooting for Superboy and M'gann to become a thing.

The three girls all turned to look at the speedster standing a couple feet away, practically inhaling a burrito, "You're so full of passion, and he's so full of..." The Martian trailed off awkwardly.

"It?" Artemis asked with a smirk, the three sharing a look before laughing. Kate had been working to actually see Artemis as a part of the Team and Arrow family, per Dinah's request and multiple occasions of meddling to get them to hang out outside of training and the cave.

"On the topic of cute couples, how about Kate and Robin?" Artemis asked slyly, raising an eyebrow at the songbird of the group. Watching her cheeks turn a baby pink as she blushed and recoiled like she had been burned.

"What are you talking about. We're friends-"

"Friends don't go on ice cream dates after school, or constantly check in on each other just because they want to talk." Kate hated that Artemis had overheard that conversation.

"That was not a date, and friends talk all the time." Kate defended herself, her cheeks growing redder as she was knocked off kilter emotionally and mentally at the insinuation.

"That's adorable!" M'gann awed, "Honestly, anyone could see how much you two like each other."

"Oh my gosh, their ship name could be Songbird." Artemis added on enthusiastically, mainly just to see Kate's reaction, but also finding the thing going on between the youngest members of the team sickeningly adorable and just wants them to admit they like each other so they would stop making her feel lonely.

Before Kate could shut down the older girls' completely insane thoughts the computer's voice assistant's monotone filled the room again.

"FAIL: Aqualad."

"Black Canary taught me that." Superboy proudly said as he stood over Kaldur with a grin. Kate fought off the green eyed monster that wanted to rage over anyone spending time with Dinah that way, she was also working on sharing. It was still a work in progress.

Red Tornado came down from his apartment and landed in front of the Atlantean and Kryptonian clone, turning away but being stopped by an overeager Wally who sped in front of him, asking if the android had a mission for them.

"Missions are the Batman's responsibility."

"Yeah, well, the Batman is with the Robin doing the dynamic duo thing in Gotham," Wally said, Artemis nudged Kate with her elbow lightly at the mention of, just to annoy the younger blonde. It worked. "But you're going somewhere right? Hot date? Or-or a mission?"