Part of the Plan?

He would have forgotten the name of his brother if Micah had told it to him. With a cool elegance that contrasted with the pure warmth he associated with Micah, Dusk watched him walk in. He had a striking appearance, much like Micah, but there was still a clear difference. Sunshine, warmth, and a home surrounded his mate. Though he detested bringing it up, the energy emanating from him was comparable to that of the Black household. He had the same unyielding energy that made people both admire and fear him.

He was not afraid of that energy. With Word encircling him, Dusk discovered that he was standing a little more erect and that the rush of adrenaline from earlier had left him. Of course, the fact that he was still sore could also be a buildup from his earlier injuries. He could not deny that his presence did not make him feel comfortable, but he was not afraid. Dusk was uncertain if his presence would be beneficial to him. History dictated that it could not produce much good. Sad news that is even more depressing to consider.

"Please feel at ease; Micah will be here shortly." He dipped his head, and a color came into his eyes that complemented the gold trim on his plain blue uniform. "I would really hate to make my new brother-in-law feel awkward around me." It was in that smile of his that Dusk noticed the similarities between the brothers. Dusk was certain that he did not often or openly share that smile, unlike Micah.

"Is Pyrite alright too?" Dusk inquired before realizing who he was speaking to. The prince who will rule this kingdom after the queen is the first prince. His body attempted to react, but it caused his head to spin, causing him to fall to Dia's side. Word shifted about, but was so deep in slumber that Dusk doubted much would wake him.

"A Blood Mage, one bonded to our holiest of beasts. Gives no homage to anyone." He raised his hand and once again smiled. Crouching on his knees was the only reason that Dusk knew that he was on the ground. "It is I who should bow to you, in apology for my mother's actions."

"Finally, you remember I am here." She spoke with a raised corner of her mouth. A sort of smile left Dusk's skin with a crawling sensation.

"Yes, he had to be calmed down before he could enter." With a gentle touch, the first prince turned to face his mother after petting Dusk's leg and massaging Word's outstretched leg. "Must I bring Mother to mind again? I think I told you to keep your nose out of my dear little brother's business."

"Your precious brother is not at risk because of anything I did." She smiled like daggers at her eldest son, and Dusk would have preferred to be farther from this rising battle of wills. "Did I not respond to this threat against him?"

"I apologize, mother; it seems that spending time with elves altered my perspective." With a laugh, he put his hand on his head. "I was unaware that he and our people have been shielded from harm by withstanding his stalker's suicide attempt to kill his third and sever our ties to the founding father of our country, our ancestor, counted."

"Do not laugh at me, Obsidian." She snapped, and the air crackled.

"Do not worry, I am with you." Dia spoke softly and directly into his ear. Causing him to startle since, aside from him, he had forgotten her presence. Perhaps it was the stress?

"Please, Mother, do not make me laugh." Prince Obsidian spoke, and he turned his head towards Dia. "I am hoping we can have a chance to put things right."

"We will see how today plays out." Dia said, lowering her head elegantly.

"Do you hear that, Mother?" Dusk recognized the cold gleam of teeth more accurately than the warmth of Micah's smile when Prince Obsidian smiled. He was, regrettably, sitting in the front row when things were about to blow up. Why him? "Now is a great time to start your vacation plans."

"You would not dare." A cold chill rose in the air and quickly disappeared under Dia's hum. "You would never dare!"

"Were those words spoken to you by Grandfather?" Prince Obsidian snapped his fingers. Guards poured in from the now-open door, flanking Dusk. "I think we both know the outcome of that." With her hair falling around her shoulder, the queen attempted to shake off the guards who had grabbed her by the arm.

"Dia, you can not stop my abilities forever!" Her expression darkened with resentment and hatred, turning ugly. Her words and her deeds, the ones that were not accompanied by the guards, were obviously menacing.

"Ah, but I can." Touching the queen's chest, Dia extended her neck. "You should not have touched my children." Did he now belong to her? Dusk pondered, wondering what she was up to. A scream had his hands covering Word's ears, leaving him wishing he had another set for his own ears. She sank into the guard's arms, white foam foaming at her mouth and rolling the whites of her eyes into her head.

"Thank you, Dia, for getting me here and giving me a chance." Prince Obsidian turned and bowed from the shoulders. A great deal from someone in the royal family, and if he saw right. The new king? Things were moving faster than thought and faster than his heart could take in. Witnessing a revolt—a quite one, but still a revolt—was never something he would imagine could happen. Not in front of his eyes.

"Welcome to the family, Dusk." He winked and was gone, his world smashed between their chests and encircled by four arms that touched him in every direction. They were looking for any wounds on him. They said nothing, Dusk just fell into their arms. At ease in the whirlwind of details and happenings that had been presented to him.

"I had no idea what my mother or brother had planned. I really apologize, Dusk." Micah's words and tears ended the silence. "It will work out fine." With his fingers intertwined with Pyrite's, Dusk reached up to wipe away Micah's tears. Pyrite then extended his own hand. He was not going to tell lies and say it was all right now. Before that could be said, there were things that had to be done. "But we must speak; we must have a serious conversation about the present." They discussed the many possibilities for the future, but what about the here and now? At this rate, they wouldn't survive it. "My brother should be included in this." Touching his face with Pyrite's and his own fingers, Micah spoke. "Considering what Mother has done, he needs to be included in the plan." Dusk leaned forward, kissed his check, and drew Pyrite's fingers closer to his chest as Micah shook his head. "Let us take this on." Dusk said it in a whisper. "I will participate in this as well." Micah and Pyrite both jumped when Dia spoke up. Dusk gave Dia a tired smile and a nod. It was time to move forward.