Taking Flight

Dusk just did it, without any idea of what he was doing. His long robe attempted to entwine itself around his legs as he ran down the hill, but it flew away behind him. It must have been quite the sight, arms raised and wildly spinning, but he threw away his dignity. They needed him, his mates. It was the first time for him since this mate bond had been discussed since he first met them. He sensed them. Dusk felt a chill run down his spine as he realized Micah was the source of his cold fear. I will be there. Without knowing how or if it would work, Dusk shouted in his head.

An intense rage that boiled inside of him made his heart race. Not like Micah's fear, and unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He sensed Pyrite's rage. It was not good, whatever was going on. Not if it knocked down the school, which was still tumbling like rain and falling in small pieces. He disregarded the fragments that fell upon him. The range of emotions he was processing was far more intense than the pain.

"Whoa!" Dusk let out a cry as Word's white form encircled him, dragging him away from a fireball that was obviously outside the school. Dusk breathed, "Thank you," to Word, who gave him his customary coo in spite of his physical appearance. Making Dusk's lips briefly smile. "What is happening?"

"That is what I am interested in learning." With her eyes fixed on the school ahead, Mrs. Quartz descended the hill. The flames illuminating the building reflected in her eyes. She turned to face him, and her eyes lit like a fire, reflecting her will rather than the school crumbling all around them. "Remain here," she said, turning to face Mr. Summerset, who was averting Dusk's gaze until he was facing away from them both. "Come with me, you." The tip of Mr. Summerset's ear pulled him forward, compelling him to follow.

"She assumed I would listen." Dusk turned his heart and spoke with mixed emotions. He always listened, which was her defense. He was certain; he continued to project that image, but this time the situation was different. When it came to himself, he usually chose the easiest route because he never had someone else who needed him. It was more his style, Dusk felt self-deprecatingly, to run off without a word.

"Dusk." Word poked his face with the tip of his nose. Rubbing Word's face with his, Dusk raced his hand.

"Let's go find Micah and Pyrite." Dusk spoke as he stepped forward, prepared to dash over and jump into the discord.

"Pyrite!" Word screamed and spun around Dusk, rubbing his face with his fur, then scurried between his legs.

"Whoa!" With a cry, Dusk fell back and landed on Word's back. He landed on his stomach, rumbling feet over head. Word's fur was soft, so the tumble was easier to manage, though the semicircle made Dusk feel a little lightheaded. Word spread quickly, rustling the short grass as it went. "What are you doing, Word?" Twisting his fingers into Word's fur, Dusk shouted.

"Find mates!" Word turned to face Dusk over his shoulder. What was he thinking?

"Be careful!" Word was directly in the path of a ball of flame as dusk cried out. Word's head threw back, but it was close enough to heat Dusk's skin and reflect light back onto Word's white fur. His eyes were wide open, but it was his tingling skin that was causing his heart to race.

"Higher!" Dusk let out a cry, pleading with that tingle to work the same magic it had when he had defied Miss Thyst. His stomach dropped to its extremities, and the world blinked—not him. Word and he found each other as fear tightened its hold on him. Gazing downward at the school, thankfully not falling and safe from the flames. Thank the layline. "You can fly in this form? I had no idea." Dusk remarked, trembling, that he should have known he could fly based on his floating. Now was not the moment to give it credit.

"It worked, my magic." Dusk lifted his quivering hand and clenched it into a fist. It had worked.

"Dusk magic is best!" Word waved his long body in happiness, taking Dusk along for the ride.

"Yes, but watch out for danger!" Dusk tightened his grip, but it was a pointless effort because all he could feel beneath was a soft, cloud-like body.

"'Kay," Word instantly stopped wriggling. Dusk peered down at the school, the fire, and patches of magic that appeared to be concentrated on the building's western side. Students were taking over the grass on both the north and south ends. Magic glistened like fireworks as it attempted to put out those strange, black flames that were devouring the west side and spitting out chunks like misbehaving children. Is it a familiar? A monster, perhaps? Really, none of it mattered, did it? "Is that side of the school where the dorm is located?"

He shivered with fear, and his heart still burned with rage. His calmness, Dusk supposed, was the reason for the steady pace. He knew how to handle anger and fear alike. It might sound callous, severe, or uncaring. These were not his feelings. That allowed them to be processed and transformed into a beacon. Looking down, he knew they were in that west area, among the burning dorms, possibly under attack, despite how rough it was.

"Is it possible for you to enter without getting hurt?" Dusk bent over and inquired. Rubbing Word's fluffy side for his reassurance.

"Word better than fire!" Word smiled at him, his smile inexplicably mirroring Pyrite's. How did they become so close? When he left his stomach behind and Word flew in, spiraling down without so much as a warning, Dusk wondered this.

"I am not sure whether I can adjust to this." With his eyes watering from the speed and the wind burning his eyes, Dusk yelled. In the mad dash to the west side of the school, he swore he heard Mrs. Quartz calling him back. Not that if it were, he would pay attention.