Overwhelmed

Faster than Dusk anticipated, Micah's prophecy was realized when he entered the classroom. Nothing was said or done, not even a whisper. Like other classrooms, this one was plain. Perches and other animal-friendly climbers were the only exceptions. He noticed that everyone had received their familiars when he glanced at the desks. Nothing outlandish was present; Dusk observed cats of all hues, rats, and other small rodents. Only one wolf was present, but there were a few frogs and rabbits. The little dragon that was perched on a student's shoulder in the back of the room caught Dusk's eye. Dusk found it difficult to imagine having a dragon.

"Stand in the center of the circle; move quickly." He recognized the teacher's voice, but after seeing him, he thought the voice fit the man. He had an athletic build and a dark red suit on. It complemented his red hair, which was worn over his right shoulder in a tight, substantial braid. His thin, angular face was pinched with rage, and his eyes were thin and glaring like gray daggers. Dusk did not feel like he was mad at him specifically; he was mad in general. There are some people like that. Dusk thought he was not surprised by the attitude at all.

"Yes, Sir." Dusk observed the intricate white circle that had been painted on the floor. The location of the teacher's desk in the other classrooms. The circle had intricate and precise details. Dusk believed it would be difficult for him to duplicate it on his own. It spoke of decades of practice. Dusk walked over and stood in the middle of the small circle, which had a blank space in its center.

"I will now activate the circle. Feel the magic, reach out, and answer the call." Mr. Ruby put one hand up in the air while jamming the other into his pocket. "Find the one, then emerge. One chance is all you have. Do not mess it up." Snapping his fingers together. Dusk vision flashes into a bright light of nothingness. A surge of energy burned every inch of his body.

"What is this?" Dusk could not help but growl the words through his gritted teeth. This hurts; Dusk couldn't see anything. Nothing but dazzling white light and suffering filled his world. The light seemed to latch onto the scars on his back and the smaller ones on his hands. Making them feel fresh, raw, and unhealed. His knees shook; the pain was taking him down. Raising his finger into his mouth, he chewed on his knuckle. Not wanting to bite his lips because scars on the face were harder to explain away than scars on his hands.

"Where?" Over his knuckles, Dusk murmured, attempting his best to resist giving into the pain and remain awake. "Where are you?" Dusk bent his knees to lock them up. He could handle the pain without falling. He had only ever done this once, and the whip that had left those scars was far worse. "Where in the blazes are you!?" Dusk spat out his own blood when he yelled into the space.

Before his eyes, the white light shifted and rolled. Dusk turned his head hard enough to crack it. He was not in a room; there was life there instead of blinding light. Dusk could make out the enormous breaths that the beast that surrounded him was exhaling. Dusk reached out and slipped a hand through the softest fur. The spotless white became red from his injured finger. Yet the sensation was so delicate—more delicate than anything he had ever felt or been able to describe.

"Coo?" His entire body began to tremble, giving off the impression that he was being picked up and shaken.

"Let's leave here," Dusk said, holding onto the section of fur before him. No matter how large the beast was, it had to feel the pain in this place. If this were my familiar, Dusk thought to himself while he licked the traces of blood from his lips, he wouldn't leave him here, regardless of size.

"Coo." The animal hummed its approval. Once more, there was a rumble, and Dusk landed on the floor of the classroom. An owl with intimidating yellow eyes and long, ear-like tufts was perched on his chest. "Coo," the deep hooting voice, appeared to be grinning at him. How did I do? Is the energy he felt from that coo. It looked like the quintessential owl of storybooks, in a succession of vibrant and rich greens. Its coloring was very similar to that of an owl that Dusk read about as a child.