Agendas

"Let us finish this up." Getting up, Dusk spoke. "Granite?" he asked as he turned to face the guard.

"My Lord." Granite looked into his eyes while clicking his heels together. He was under scrutiny once more.

"Are we able to teleport to the palace?" Dusk stood with all the grace his feeble body could muster, but he preferred to return home and take a hot, saltwater bath. It was the best treatment for a sore body, but as usual, life had other plans.

"There is a teleportation station near our detestation. We are unable to teleport to court." Granite nodded, appearing content with him for the time being. Dusk could feel the pressure of the guard's exceptions mounting against him. What was he expecting from him?

Micah got to his feet and walked over to stand next to him, saying, "Dusk," based on how his hand appeared to float in the air. Micah's was on his injured side, so he was reluctant to touch him, even though he wanted to. "This is absurd! He received a serious injury and was told to rest!" Micah turned to the immobile guard, which was under the queen's command. Unsure of what he anticipated a simple guard to do? He just needed to let his frustrations out. Dusk decided.

"Do not worry, Micah." Dusk seized that floating hand and squeezed it. Micah looked at him with wide eyes. The truth is on our side, as are the owners of the café. Words were, after all, cheap, so their best option was the crystal. He kept those thoughts to himself so as not to worry Micah.

"This is by no means okay!" As his lips pulled back from his teeth, Pyrite growled. "This is total garbage!" Shaking his head, Dusk. These two were riding their feelings too strongly. Dusk engaged in this game for a lot longer than someone of his age ought to have. It was like letting them win by letting people ride their emotions. Even though dusk might collapse later, but by the lay lines, he would not do it right now or in front of the queen!

Dusk called out, "Micah," and he turned to face Pyrite. "Perhaps...?" Pyrite could be seen struggling to contain his rage, which was erupting in waves of growls. It sent the younger guard out of the room. Even though Pyrite was a powerful alpha, his behavior was poor for a guard who deals with beast folk. It was poor conduct. Dusk would not want a man like that working by his side.

"Word, are you going to be okay?" Dusk looked down at his cuddly little owl. Letting Micah work his magic on Pyrite. He questioned whether his small familiar was not younger than he had thought. He raised his head and blinked at Dusk. Dusk let his good arm fall to his side as he let Word fly up to his shoulder.

Word uttered "Coo," sounding more serious than any owl could ever be.

Dusk approached the guard. "Then let us go," he said. "Are the two of you coming?" With more fatigue and annoyance than anything else, he turned his head. Dusk experienced numbness; as a child, he frequently suffered from it. Accept what is occurring and continue on. What else could he do? He could not fight the Duchess, his former mother, any more than he could a nation's queen.

The Duchess. Dusk had to choose his preferred method of addressing her. Former mother? Duchess Black? The Duchess? Names had power. He would make his first mental move away from the Black family after the queen. Despite thinking that everything would end once he was free, it had only just begun. He needed to become more resilient because if he didn't, Miss Thyst would only be the beginning of those who would abuse him. Due to information leaks, Dusk was unable to even identify everyone who had access to his past. It was past time for him to move on.

"Dusk?" He was distracted from his thoughts when Micah stood up. Ah, he was making him worry. Dusk tried his hardest to maintain a smile, but even he felt the cold.

"It would be a terrible first impression if I kept the queen waiting." Putting his thoughts on hold until he had more time to reflect, Dusk continued.

"Okay, but I do not like this at all." Pyrite inhaled deeply before crossing his arms over his chest. "Your mother can sometimes be a real champ." Pyrite's ears tipped back, but he seemed more composed than he had earlier.

"I am aware of it, but let us work through this together." Before turning back to Dusk, Micah said, while glancing at Pyrite. "Dusk, we are not going to abandon you again. You are not by yourself." Micah inhaled deeply, and as soon as he exhaled, he felt his own feelings subside. The Thyst family will not get away with this, I promise.

"I won't, either." Pyrite approached them from behind, glaring down at the guard. "I know I can rely on ya to have the crystal." He was provoking the man to grimace. The repressed rage was able to crawl across the room and across Dusk's body.

"Pyrite." Putting his hand on Pyrite's chest, Micah spoke while calming the storm.

"Prince Consort Howlite, the second Prince, has my undivided loyalty." Granite lips flatten into a line. "I will give my life before someone takes this crystal from me." Dusk raised his eyebrows in shock as the man yelled sincerity. Rare, but not always the most practical type of person. Although Dusk could respect that quality, managing it was stressful. He was not envious of Micah's job.

"I appreciate that we can depend on you at all times, Captain." Micah said it with an elegant smile. "Will your token also lead us, please?" Captain Granite saluted with a sharp head motion without saying a word. He pulled out a token, which had the same platinum-like shimmering white sheen. Only royalty, including aspirant nobles, would use platinum in such a manner. They took off instinctively when the token snapped, just as he ought to have earlier this afternoon.

Closing his eyes was a habit he developed after over a month of teleportation token use. It saved his head from spinning. Opening his eyes, he saw the luxury of the palace's teleportation room. He saw the opulence of the palace's teleportation room when he opened his eyes. Though he knew better, he struggled to contain his flinch at the sight.

"Is all of this platinum?" Dusk couldn't help but ask Micah. The room was circular, and the pillars surrounding it were ornately carved. At their feet, brick was arranged in an intricate pattern that matched the delicate carvings. Nothing short of exquisite could describe it. Guards were even covered in a thin blue metal armor that resembled upscale clothing more than protective gear. Dusk could feel the tingle of magic everywhere.

"Look at the slight blue shimmer." Micah said, stepping off the circle platform that they landed on. Right there, Pyrite extended a helping hand to Micah. Micah was correct, as Dusk observed the area. The white had a slight blue shimmer to it in the late-afternoon light. "It is adamantite, and the entire palace was constructed out of it." Turning, Micah grinned at Dusk. "They contain a magic only those with royal blood can access."

"I can feel it," Dusk said, the sensation settling into him. Word was stroked on the shoulder, looking like a turtle soaking up the sun. One of them, at least, was savoring the magic's tingling sensation. On the other hand, Dusk did not like the way this magic made him feel. When Dusk thought about it, the words invasive and intrusive came to mind.

"Ya don't like it either, Sunshine?" Like before, Pyrite ruffled his hair when he came over, and he fixed it. "It appears that only Word here likes it. Gem magic is strange stuff." Pyrite smiled while laughing. Dusk observed his stiff posture and the way the fur on his tail and ears stood up in a static-like manner.

"It will quiet down once we leave this area." While pausing to comb Pyrite's fur, Micah said.

Two of the well-dressed guards arrived and kneeled in front of Micah, calling out, "Second Prince." Two more came from behind, and he stepped alongside them to salute first Micah and then Pyrite.

Then two more arrived with the same look and manner. Dusk had a sense of being in Redneval again. He could be back at the Blacks in an instant, complete with matching clothes and bowed black heads. The same gloomy, somber vibe permeated the energy. The guards' glares as they observed from along the wall pricked his skin. A familiar feeling. Even though he looked calm on the outside, he was anything but. He would act as though he were back there in this circumstance. He was either despised, pitied, or avoided in that place.

"The Second Prince and Prince Consorts will be escorted to the courts, right?" Micah completed grooming Pyrite before Captain Granite rose to speak. Consorts? A verbal error or acceptance? Dusk was unable to comment.

"We are present to assist the prince and his mate in getting ready for court." Without raising his head, the third person in line from the dark heads spoke. Dusk noticed that the s was not added to his words.

Micah approached the intermediary and said, "It sounded rather urgent before. Should not my mate get some rest if it is not so urgent?"

"We were unaware that Prince Consort Howlite had sustained a wound. The queen can be notified, and he can be excused from court proceedings." Where he believed Dusk to be was evident in his monotone voice and distinct lines.

"I am referring to our third. Dusk Wooddancer," Word hissed as Micah's sharp voice descended, causing the surrounding air to crackle. Both were furious with the way Dusk was being handled. It was nothing to him.

"We are familiar with the blood mage, but Lord Wooddancer is not yet well; he cannot be addressed or treated like Pyrite Prince Consort." The head remained bowed, and the speaker kept talking to the ground. The distinction, like black and white, could be seen in how the exterior guards behaved in comparison to those on the interior. The only person these men worked for was the queen. Dusk could distinguish between them. Dusk was certain that their loyalty was different from the loyalty of the plain white guards.

"I say he is." Micah extended a sweeping hand in the air while standing tall. "Do you realize that by using these words, you defame your Prince?"

"Please forgive me, Second Prince." Pale white, unseen eyes peered up at them from a raised head. "The three of you have the opportunity to get ready for court thanks to our queen." He turned and looked at Dusk, despite not being able to see. He only wore clothes that were torn and covered in blood. His school robe was still hidden somewhere in the hospital's cavernous interior. Micah and Pyrite had theirs, at least. The student's uniform served as their formal attire, as Dusk was aware.

"Why would you not accept Micah?" Observing those white eyes, Dusk commented, and he wondered what magic he was employing to investigate his surroundings. Their eyes appeared stationary but determined. Fall seven times and stand up eight times. When the cold guard's eyebrow twitched, Dusk grinned and felt a small sense of joy. "I do not believe you want me to meet your mother in this way for the first time." Dusk rubbed the small, growling fluff on his shoulder after stating the obvious. "Word will be with me as well."

"It should not take long to change clothes," Pyrite said, shrugging his shoulders. "We can make use of the door-separated changing rooms."

"It is acceptable to use that dressing room, Second Prince." Untroubled by Micah's clear displeasure, the white-eyed guard spoke. Micah's lips started thinning as he spoke again.

"All right, show the way." Pyrite acted like his escort, Micah said, and he grabbed his arm. They stepped out of the room while the four guards walked in front of them. It was quiet, which should have been awkward given the circumstances. While Captain Granite was a little stiff-armed, not hiding his displeasure. Dusk saw then why he was only an outer guard. No matter what position you hold, politics are involved.

Compared to the teleportation entrance, the hallways were more ornate. Are they made of the same stone or gems? Which category that adamantite belonged to was unknown to Dusk. It was beautiful, but cold. Following Micah and Pyrite by a few steps. He observed that handsome, lean man wrapping his arm around Pyrite. It was hard to imagine him leaving behind these cold walls. Micah's private rooms might have been warmer. Dusk believed that something silkier and more vibrant would be more appropriate for Micah. Pyrite could only imagine him frolicking through a forest. Dusk's mood was immediately lifted by that image.

The corridor turned and turned. The pristine white-blue walls and floors continued, as did the elegant cravings. The old wars that were portrayed on the walls had an impact on the artistic design of the cold halls. It was not the right time for Dusk to pause and appreciate them, as the artist deserved. The white-eyed guard finally stopped after passing by a number of identical-looking doors. Two of the four then presumably opened and entered the space to conduct a room sweep.

"Second Prince, Second Prince Consort." A white-eyed man motioned for them to enter. While speaking to the guard, Micah paused and fixed him with a direct gaze. "The following room is where Lord Wooddancer will be."

"I will make sure Lord Wooddancer arrives at his designated room." Micah and Pyrite turned to look at Dusk after their eyes locked at those words. He was not entering that changing room.

"I'll be waiting." To Micah and Pyrite, Dusk mouthed those words. Without Dusk picking up any sound, Word bristled, and Pyrite's ears perked forward. Pyrite seemed to be the only one who could hear whatever noise Word made. With that and Micah calling the palace home, they should be able to meet again soon.

Micah uttered, "He better be safe," with a voice as icy as the corridors they were in.

"Since Captain Granite will be with him, he will be safe." Behind Micah, Pyrite rose like a mighty pillar. "Won't he?"

"I have no excuse to decline," The slight twitch of his eyebrow indicated his desire for one, saying everything else he was afraid to say. In other words, things were not going his way. Not precisely. Dusk hoped; he detested every moment his plans fell through.

"Sunshine, we will talk soon." Following Micah into the room, Pyrite shook his head and vanished.

"Dusk." Micah ran over to him and quickly kissed him before turning back to the door. "Take it easy." Micah's fingers brushed his lips, then dropped away. "Okay." Micah walked backward before dashing back into the changing room. He shut the door after giving Dusk a wink over his shoulder. He was alone, with the Captain and two of the four inner guards.

"You're not taking me to court, are you?" As he raised his battered body to his full height, Dusk said. Because of his past, he had to conceal every sore spot on his body. He offered his most admirable manners out of pride. Whatever he saw or felt, those white eyes twisted around and glared at him. The man's mouth twitched.

"When we arrive, you will see." He turned on his heel and moved in front of Captain Granite and the second guard, who were following him. Dusk moved ahead without so much as a glance toward the Captain. Stealing his mind for the possibilities that lay ahead. Walking past that second door that leads to the dressing room. Word's agitated feathers were calmed by Dusk. At least he was not alone this time.

Dusk was directed to a large set of double doors after making a few more turns in the hallway. A pink gemstone slice in the form of a teardrop connected the two doors. Dusk could feel a pool of energy emanating from the doors as he stood in front of them. The worst kind of tingling occurred on his skin. Dusk could never feel martial energy, but he suspected it was similar. It sought him out in the interim and is now attempting to intimidate him.

"I have brought him, Your Majesty," the white-eyed guard said. Not a single acknowledgement—not a raised voice, not a knocked fist—was made. Beyond the door, the energy was pure strength and curled around them like a spider, which, as opposed to forming and waiting for its prey to land, forms around its prey. When Captain Granite coughed, blood came out of his mouth. The blood dripping from his fingers did not stop even when he raised his hand.

"Captain," Dusk said. His tone was stern, but it came from surprise rather than annoyance. Captain Granite coughed up more blood and reached into his pocket. As the crystal was offered, Dusk extended his hand and accepted it. No doubt a recording from the café. Because the Captain was aware that he understood, he bowed his head. After receiving the stone from Dusk, Word clung to it in his talons.

"Coo!" Word made a flat singing noise and briefly flapped his wings before the energy vanished. For the Captain, who had reduced to just one need—a need to breathe in more air than his spilled blood—it was a little too late.

" Dusk Wooddancer, enter." A smooth voice that resembled a jorogumo luring in its unwary prey. As far as he can recall, Jorogumo prefers the flesh of young men. Not the best mental picture to have when meeting the country's queen or, more significantly, his mate's mother. He entered on his own after the doors opened.

"Interesting to meet you outside the paper report's black and white letters." He quickly glanced around after the door shut behind him and realized he was by himself. The Thyst family was not present, despite the fact that the queen's personal guards should have been present. He quickly took in the bright, attractive room. In the pink and gold hues, nothing or anyone could be seen outside of her.

Dusk bowed deeply and said, "Your majesty," placing his hand on his chest. "Please excuse how I am dressed." Without any formal Donmiad etiquette training, it was the most formal bow he was familiar with, maintaining the position. The unwelcome sound of heels on stone was audible at dusk. Dusk was able to feel Word's feathers on his neck and ear because of how fluffed up he had become.

Raise Dusk Wooddancer so I can see you clearly. He was not touched, but she did pause just inches away. He turned his head up. She was not what he had anticipated. He maintained his social persona, which he had mastered since a young age, in part because he was the son of a prominent noble. Additionally, he had to maintain his dignity whenever he snuck out of his former residence.

Her skin was so pale that it nearly appeared transparent. Dusk could make out a very faint blue line running beneath her skin. She had full lips, large pink eyes, and pink hair that surrounded her like a cape. She was Micah's opposite. Not only that, but she lacked everything, not even the good spirits around him. Many people would find her attractive. Dusk might concur, but in a creative sense. Micah's dark hair made his fair skin glow, and his blue eyes had a warmth to them. The queen resembled a beautiful doll much more than she did a real person.

"Baron, I am going to put my hands up close to your face." The queen followed her instructions, placing a hand on his chin and tipping it up. She was also much taller than Micah and a little taller than Pyrite. He did not become enmeshed in a memory, which was good. "You appear somewhat drab." After releasing her grip, she motioned for him to follow her to a gold sofa where tea and snacks had been set out. "Please join me."

"Your majesty, I would be overjoyed." While feeling the opposite, Dusk said. He had never considered having tea with royalty. Dusk paused, remembering that he had already had tea with Micah. There was a sense that it did not matter. Micah's royalty. "Shall I serve?" Dusk offered, but he could not find any servants, so the duty fell to him.

"The tea will serve itself." A tingle in the air indicated that the tea was indeed serving itself. "Are you open to being tempted, little one?" The only undeniable indication that Micah was her son was the grace with which she sat, bending a brilliant nail as she tried to entice Word over. He did not care about her or the charm she was using; his familiar gave her a low hiss instead. Although those eyes were open, they were soft and kind in appearance, and she smiled softly. They were watching for a vulnerability. "Ah, but you paid such close attention to Pyrite and Micah." She expressed sadness by placing her hand on her cheek, but it was not visible in her eyes.

"Milk, sugar?" The pitcher and small, clear bowl were floating in the air.

"My thanks, but I prefer mine plain." Like any gentleman, Dusk dipped his head and kept both of his hands on his lap, one hand resting on each leg.

"Truly? Anything less than three sugars is intolerable to me." After she responded, three cubes were put in her cup. "Have you enjoyed watching Pyrite consume his tea?" She held up a hand, And with the tips of her delicately adorned nails, she covered her mouth and laughed in a way only a royal could pull off—soft and gentle without an ounce of sincerity. "The boy will destroy a family with his addiction to sugar."

"Introducing him to a sweeter tea is something I plan on doing." Dusk said, holding up his cup to follow suit after she took the first sip.

"Is that so?" Dusk took another sip, but he was unable to taste anything. Due to tension or nerves, his tongue was numb. The two went hand in hand more often than not at Dusk. My oldest son enjoys sweets as well. Dusk set the tea down without a sound. Thank the lay lines that Micah had brought up his eldest brother already.

"Ah, Micah mentioned him." Dusk said, implying that he knew more than he did.

"Did he now?" She did not give anything away after setting her tea down.

"Yes, it is nice that they get along." Dusk stated it in a general but encouraging way. He was hoping that it was accurate.

"From their earliest years, they have been close." He was confident that other people would fall to their knees at the queen's smile. "The Thyst family's behavior disturbed him. You and Micah could both have been hurt by them."

"What transpired regarding the Thyst family?" Dusk asked, avoiding the trap that was that last part. Inside, he was dreading this conversation. She wasn't even asking for the crystal.

"I have taken away their land and titles." Though Dusk had no sympathy for the family, she waved her hand as if she had not destroyed their way of life. "They have decided to withdraw their daughter from the university. They will not likely stay in the capital for very long." She drew her legs in at the knees, tilted them, and placed her hands on them. "As restitution." A light pink folder flew out of her hand with a raised hand, out of sight. "You will receive these." The file folder dropped to his lap.

"Please look through them at your convenience." She closed her eyes briefly to tilt her head and smile. "I have enjoyed our time together, but I am afraid I have a prior appointment." Dusk went to stand up, but her raised hand stilled him. "I am aware that you were hurt, so please take some time to rest." She stood up and said, "I would like to do this again, without the pressure of the incoming company."

"I would consider it an honor." Dusk bowed his head and lifted his sore shoulder to keep his hand on his chest. Going as deep as he could while he sat.

"Please address me as Queen Morganite the next time." Her head dipped downward. "The tea cakes should definitely be tried; they are delicious." Her eyes glowed with power that tingled his skin. "I will not keep them from you any longer. Farewell." She vanished in a shower of pink petals, allowing Pyrite and Micah to break through the door. When the crystal was thrown on the table, Dusk quickly grabbed it and threw it into his storage. Word accepted the queen's invitation to partake of the tea cakes and helped himself.

"Dusk!" Micah, who was wearing a tight white outfit that revealed his chest, ran over and approached. He ran to his side, and his school robe flew behind him. Pyrite had a similar appearance, wearing black breeches under his school robe and no shirt. "I see Mother has gone." He seized a petal that was still tumbling to the ground.

"How are ya? Did she grill ya? Test ya? Are ya hurt anywhere?" Pyrite pushed the table while kneeling in front of him, infuriating Word just a little bit. The cream and berries in his beak muffled his hoot and turned it into more of a grunt. Pyrite examined him and patted his legs.

"Once she opened the door, everything was fine." Dusk said, not wanting to go through the same thing again. He would have to question Micah if it involved gem magic. Micah put his head on the couch's back as they sat down. Later, he would ask.

"What did she say? What happened?" Lifting his head, Micah revealed a paler appearance than usual. Word hopped over carrying a sandwich in his beak. Micah gave him a soft smile and a gentle head rub after he offered it to him. Micah took a bite of the sandwich. Sandwiches for Dusk and Pyrite were offered after some back and forth at the table.

Word was savoring the attention he had received, as evidenced by the tilt of his head. Word's improved attitude made Dusk happy. Even though it had only been a few days, being apart like they had been before hurt his little friend. Whether a legendary beast or not, Dusk had grown to love his little owl very much. Similar to Micah and Pyrite. Fast-settling into his heart was a wind of emotion.

"The Thyst family will leave the city after being stripped of their titles." Dusk addressed her as "Miss Aimee," calling her a commoner. "Miss Aimee was dismissed."

Pyrite snarled, ripping a sandwich in half with a savage turn of his head, "Good."

"What's in the folder?" Micah asked with a wrinkled nose. "Seems to be Mom's favorite pink letterhead." After finishing his sandwich, Dusk accepted another that Word had offered. Given the series of events, he was much more hungry than he had anticipated. The cakes were being kept by his little featherball, which he had noticed. He did not mind, though.

"She said this was my compensation." The folder was opened by Dusk, and Pyrite quickly reached out to prevent his meal from landing on the papers in his lap.

"Sunshine, what is it?" Pyrite questioned as the food fell to the table in front of them.

Micah muttered, peering over his shoulder at the items in his lap, "That was rather smart of her." Pyrite followed suit and let out a clever, low whistle. She really had him, damn. Dusk had to be impressed. He felt a sense of appreciation for it and for whom he was dealing with. She was not this country's queen by accident.