Senior Guides

Dusk opened his eyes to a large shadow blocking the light of dawn. Sitting up with a jolt, he brushed his face with his arms. Looking at a large grasshopper that hopped away with a begrudging figure. It didn't take him long to figure out he had slept outside all afternoon and night. Stretching, he felt a bit stiff, but he had never slept better. When sleeping outside is better than sleeping in a house with a bed... Dusk shook those gloomy thoughts away.

"It is a beautiful morning," Dusk said, looking around. His body was still on a firm get-up-right-before-dawn schedule. Thankfully, Dusk didn't want to imagine how long he would have slept otherwise. Dusk finished his inspection under the bare, pale yellow light of dawn. Only to catch himself. He didn't need to look for traps anymore.

"That's right, no more traps." Dusk felt a rare, bubbly feeling rise in his chest. This was happiness. Dusk walked at a leisurely pace; he didn't need to run off anywhere or runaway from anyone. It was a great way to start the morning. "One, I can now enjoy every day." Wonder what the cabin looks like? Dusk had fallen asleep before seeing the final results. Heading to the door, he pushed it open. A tingle under his fingers let him know the magic had checked his status as the register owner.

Soon as he opened the door, a soft white glow lit up the inside of the once disgusting cabin. Dusk, once again, admired the unique and whimsical design. Like the outside that curved in the humpback roof. The inside had round rooms held up by large circular beams. That curved up into the ceiling, meeting at a large center beam. There was a chandelier lighting the space. Dusk did a double take when he saw that it was a small crystal that lit up the space and not candlelight. Amazing.

Tapping his foot along the floors, he found they were shiny with cleanliness. A beautiful cherry wood, much like the dishes he picked out. Same with the beams, which embedded themselves into the smooth white plaster finish. The round windows that he had seen boarded were now clear, clean glass that was letting in light. It would be bright and airy during the later morning and afternoon. A contrast to where he lived before, and he loved it. Walking into the open space. Dusk could see the kitchen now. Walking towards it, he noticed the lack of cupboard doors in the dark wooden cabinets and shrugged it off. A large square sink sat underneath another window. Looking out, it gave a great view of the woods surrounding the cabin.

Turning around, he took note of the towering stone fireplace on the back wall. There was so much to take in; still, how could he miss a whole fireplace? Anchored by floor-to-ceiling shelves, Dusk was eager to fill them with books or whatever else he wanted. Buying whatever he wanted. Novel concept. Dusk thought, marveling at his freedom once more. Reaching the only door in the space, he pushed the door open with his foot. Bracing himself. In case the token couldn't clean up the horror of what Dusk had believed was the bathroom.

"Ah, good." Dusk placed his hand on his chest, relieved. Inside was a normal bathroom. A claw-foot tub to one side, a sink with mirror, and a toilet beside it. All clean and pristine white. "Wait," Dusk said. He had been around the whole space; where was the bedroom? Dusk backed up and began to search around. Looking for anything that stood out. Much like when he looked for hidden traps before leaving his room.

"Ah, there it is." Dusk tugged at the one thing that stood out. The one end of the bookcase, unlike the others, was thicker, even after repair. Had some wear at one spot. Barely noticeable by most people's standards, Dusk wasn't like most people. Pulling it brought that section of the bookcase out. Revealed a whole other room. It was wide and spacious and had the same beaming as the main room. In the middle, a large square bed hung from the ceiling from braided robes. "Amazing!" Dusk pushed at the bed. He never imagined sleeping on such a bed before, but he never imagined sleeping outside either. Let's get started! Dusk felt filled to the brim with energy. It was time to make this cabin his home.