Chapter Three

Outside the ICU hallway are Quiren and Yibo. Also, Carmen who just arrived. The two men are both far from each other.

Carmen who didn't know the full story remained silent and watched.

All three eyes focused on the ICU door at the same time when the doctor came out.

"Who is the patient's son?"

"Me. How is she, doc?" Yibo quickly approached.

The doctor shook his head and grabbed Yibo by both shoulders. "She wants to talk to you. You have a few minutes." before the doctor had finished what he was saying, Yibo opened the door to enter.

"Oh, Quiren." Carmen sadly hugged her husband. Quiren's jaws were almost numb with tension.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wang. We did what we could but the gunshot wound to her chest was fatal." Quiren nodded looking up while hugging his wife tightly. Inside, Yibo grabbed his mother's hand. Tried to keep the tears from falling.

"Mom..." he whispered hoarsely.

"Yibo... I'm sorry..." Crystal whispered. There is no strength in squeezing her child's hand.

"Shh... don't talk."

"Quiren is innocent, YIbo. It's my fault—I got him drunk on purpose that day..." Crystal gasped and Yibo closed his eyes. "H-he was so repentant that he blamed himself for what happened. H-he didn't-he didn't know what-to do with what happened. Carmen had just given birth to Haikuan..."

"Mom, please..."

"Let me talk, please." Crystal's voice pleaded. "I know he-he would have married me had it been possible, son. And he doesn't know that I carried you." tears flowed from the corners of Crystal's eyes. Yibo's jaw wanted to break from holding back his emotions.

"I love him, Yibo. I have loved him since the very first time I saw him." A smile appeared on Crystal's lips. I remembered the day I met him when he fetched Carmen at our school. "I never-regretted those forbidden moments with your father. I have treasured it through the years. It served as my strength to be with Qingheng-Jun all this years." she raised her hand to his son's face. "And I love you, too, my darling. You are the most important thing that came into my life..."

No words escaped Yibo's lips. His throat is constricted from crying. But tears rolled down anyway.

"Do you forgive me, son?"

"I love you so much," he answered in a broken voice. Kissed his mother's hand. Then look up and took a deep breath.

"I-I want... to talk to Carmen..." Crystal begged in a troubled voice. Yibo came out quickly. When he entered, the couple was already there.

"Crystal..." Carmen grabbed her best friend's hand.

"Please, forgive me..."