Chapter Four

Three weeks have passed since Qingheng-Jun and Crystal's funeral. Crystal's older brother and his family have also returned to America after their funeral. And during those times Quiren and Carmen were like strangers to each other. Their three children also do not know how to accept the events that happened.

"Talk to me, please," Quiren begged while holding his wife's arm when Carmen was about to enter the room. "You've been avoiding me..."

"What do you want me to say, Quiren?" she asked in a pained voice. Quiren's hands were in his pants pockets and he breathed deeply. "I don't know either." He looked up at the ceiling with a faint expression. "How can I justify what happened? I have already explained and apologized to you for that accidental mistake. Again, I apologize..."

"How can I do that when my best friend is involved? More than just a friend. We're like sisters, Quiren..." Carmen said.

"I love you, Carmen, you know that. I didn't like what happened. I'd rather die than do bad things to Crystal, you know that too. I may be many things to you and to a lot of people but I can't betray a friend. I've been carrying that guilt in my chest for a long time. And I didn't know that that one-time event would result with Yibo. And I want to be thankful that I didn't find out about Yibo until now or else I would have lost you, Carmen. And I can't do that..."

Carmen looked up at her husband. Her eyes filled with so many emotions. "And how do you know you won't lose me now, Quiren?"

Quiren's face froze at that moment and his eyes narrowed. "Don't you ever tell me that, Wang Carmen! I gave you space in the past days not to talk to me because all of us were affected by the tragedy that happened. But I'll be damned if I allow you to continue treating me this!"

Carmen took a deep breath. "I want to tell you this, Quiren. Everything will only go back to normal if Yibo accepts you!"

"That's unfair!" But his wife left him and entered the room.

Quiren's face darkened. That's another one of his problems. Yibo is not yet back from Gusu Island. And earlier the secretary gave him the fax letter tendering Yibo's resignation. Despite everything, in the depths of his heart, there was the joy that Lan Yibo was his blood.