Ch.13: Pachamama

Jason POV

We couldn't get the password from Carlito before he died, but maybe Isabella's already figured it out.

I know I shouldn't feel bad for Carlito. He started the outbreak, and killed almost everyone in Willamette. But, honestly, I kinda understand. It's still no excuse for what he's done, but his hatred is justified.

All we got from him was a pendant. He asked us to give this to Isabella, so that's what we're gonna do.

Frank and I arrived back at Carlito's secret hideout, and Isabella still hasn't been able to get into his computer. She must've heard us, because she turned to look at us. I guess I gotta break the news once again.

Jason: He's dead.

Isabella:....... Oh...

Isabella went back to trying to log into the laptop, but I could tell she was crushed by the news.

Jason: All he worried about was you in the end....... But, he died before he could say anything.

I then walked over to Isabella, and stood right above her. I could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

Jason: You know, I thought he was just a terrorist. But... In the end, all he really cared about was his sister.

I pulled out the pendant and held it to her.

Jason: Here... He wanted you to have this.

Isabella looked at the pendant, then her eyes widened. She took it and opened it to reveal a picture of man and a woman with two kids.

Isabella:...Papa... Mama...

Isabella clutched the pendant while lightly sobbing. I couldn't say anything. All Frank and I could do was just sit in silence. Isabella sobs being the only audio in the room.

Isabella:... Pachamama...

Isabella then typed that word into the computer, and was able to log in. Much to our surprise.

Frank: Did you figure it out?

Jason: Pachamama...? *looks at Isabella* What does that mean?

Isabella: Pachamama... Mother Earth. Our parents said that a lot. The place we lived, Santa Cabeza...was blessed with nature.... Please believe me when I say my brother didn't want all this... He only wanted to live in peace in Santa Cabeza.

I put my hand on her shoulder, and Frank and I gave her a reassuring nod.

Isabella: I know he was wrong. He harmed too many innocents and thought only of himself.... Even so... God... Carlito...

Just then, the transceiver goes off, and Jessie calls us.

Jessie: Frank, Jason! The emergency line's been freed up! I'll give headquarters a call. Hang on.

A few minutes later, Jessie called again.

Jessie: Frank, Jason... It's over. HQ's decided to ignore us.

Frank and I looked at each other with shock, before Frank called back.

Frank: What?! What do you mean "ignore us"?!

Jessie: I contacted headquarters, but... The government has decided to deny all knowledge of what happened here. Special Forces will arrive for cleanup at midnight. They'll take everyone out... Zombies, people...everyone...

Jessie hung up, and Frank and I looked at each other with shock.

Isabella:... It's happening again... The American Government refusing to take responsibility for their mistakes... Just like Santa Cabeza.