Reckon you want to get up close and personal with that necklace

After wolfing down a hasty breakfast, Charlie returns and settles next to me on the sofa. I can't stop sneaking glances at him from the corner of my eye, heart hammering.

"Alright, let's have these gifts then," he declares cheerfully, reaching for the colorfully wrapped box with his name on it.

"Wait!" I stop him, nerves making my voice come out too loud. Charlie looks at me in surprise.

"Could we, um, could we maybe open them outside?" I ask shyly. "Since it's such a nice day?" "Of course." Charlie smiles and scoops up both gifts, leading the way out to the sunlit patio. The bright morning sun warms my skin as I settle on a lounge chair beside the glittering pool. I glance over anxiously as Charlie grabs two colorfully wrapped gifts and joins me, his lopsided smile making my heart flutter.

"Alright, you first," he says, handing me the flat square package with my name scrawled across it in his messy handwriting.

I carefully peel back the paper, hands trembling faintly in anticipation. I gasp softly as I reveal the first edition copy of Jane Eyre nestled inside the wrapping. My fingers trace delicately over the aged leather binding and gilt lettering, hardly believing Charlie remembered me mentioning it was my favorite classic novel.

"Oh my gosh, Charlie, you shouldn't have!" I exclaim, looking up at him with wide eyes. "This must have been so expensive, I can't accept..."

Charlie holds up a hand to stop my protests. "You deserve it," he says sincerely. "I know how much you love the story, and I wanted you to have a really special copy to keep."

My heart swells and I blink back tears at his thoughtfulness. "But how on earth did you even find something this rare?" I ask incredulously.

Charlie just winks. "I have my ways."

I carefully set the priceless book aside and throw my arms around Charlie in a tight hug. "This is the most incredible gift ever, thank you so much," I whisper, breathing in his scent. Charlie squeezes me gently before I finally pull back, remembering his present still waiting.

Charlie strokes his thumb over my cheek, eyes warm. "Happy Christmas, Troublemaker," he murmurs. "The happiest," I whisper back, "Okay, now open yours!" I say eagerly, passing him the small wrapped box. Charlie grins at my excitement and tears off the paper. I hand Charlie the lumpy package containing his gift, barely able to contain my nerves. He gives me a quizzical look as he unwraps what appears to be a simple silver necklace.

"It's a necklace?" Charlie looks confused, glancing between me and the pendant.

I nod, biting my lip. "Open the clasp and put it on," I urge softly.

Still appearing bemused, Charlie does as instructed. As soon as the necklace settles around his neck, his eyes widen and take on a faraway look. I know he must be seeing the enchanted memory I placed inside - the two of us sitting by dragon firelight in the forbidden forest during the Triwizard Tournament, when Charlie took me to see the dragons for the first time.

He had spoken with such passion and knowledge about the dragons that night. I hadn't been able to take my eyes off him, seeing this tender side beneath his rugged exterior. I wanted him to be able to relive the moment from my perspective.

Charlie blinks, gaze refocusing. He looks up at me wordlessly. I twist my hands together, suddenly anxious.

"Do...do you like it?" I ask uncertainly. "The memory inside?"

"Lyra..." Charlie's voice comes out hoarse. In answer, he pulls me into his arms, one hand coming up to cradle the back of my head. I cling back tightly, relief crashing over me.