You are an old wizard with a waistcoat and pipe!

The Great Hall buzzed with the chatter of students as they enjoyed dinner on the first Friday night of term. I picked at my shepherd's pie, too exhausted to have much of an appetite. Dark circles under my eyes gave away my lack of sleep over the past week.

"You look like shit," Theo said bluntly as he and Blaise took the seats across from me at the Slytherin table.

"Thanks, Theo. You're quite the charmer," I said dryly before taking a small bite of pie.

I glanced down the table at Draco, who sat sullenly pushing food around his plate. He had been moody and distant all week, ever since we arrived back at Hogwarts for our 6th year.

Meanwhile, Harry seemed to have gotten himself a potions book that suddenly made him some kind of brewing genius. Even Professor Slughorn sang his praises nonstop during class. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the new professor had quite the little crush on the famous Harry Potter.

My thoughts were interrupted as Theo waved a hand in front of my face. "Earth to Lyra. You still in there?"

I blinked, realizing I had zoned out. "Sorry, just tired. Haven't been sleeping much."

Theo and Blaise shared a concerned look. "Nightmares again?" Blaise asked.

I nodded, unwilling to describe the visions that plagued my dreams and stole my sleep. The same horrific scenes, over and over...

"You should go see Madam Pomfrey, get a Dreamless Sleep potion," Theo suggested.

"I'll be alright," I lied, mustering a faint smile. In truth, I was utterly exhausted, my recurring nightmares draining the life from me. But I could not let it show. Plastering on a neutral expression, I changed the subject.

Over the next few days, I noticed Draco missing classes, looking pale and exhausted. When I pressed him on it, he snapped.

"I'm fine! Just leave it alone, Lyra."

I flinched at his harsh tone but backed off. If he wanted to talk, he would.

A week later in the library, Harry dropped into the seat beside me.

"We need to talk about Malfoy," he muttered.

I tensed. "What about him?"

"He's up to something. Skulking around, missing lessons...I think he's a Death Eater now."

"Don't be ridiculous," I frowned at Harry. "You two have always hated each other for no reason. Draco would never join Voldemort."

Harry's eyes hardened behind his glasses. "I'm telling you, something is going on with him. Be careful, Lyra."

I dismissed him with a shake of my head and sunk back into my Transfiguration essay, troubled.

Over the next few weeks at Hogwarts, life fell into familiar rhythms - challenging classes, late nights studying, meals and laughter with friends. Yet I couldn't shake my worry over Draco. He had pulled further away, his eyes now haunted. I barely saw him outside of meals. He refused my invitations to study or walk the grounds together.

Late one night after a month back at school, I jerked awake from a nightmare, heart pounding. After dressing, I headed out hoping the fresh air would clear my mind.

The halls were silent, moonlight casting everything in silver and shadow. I traced a familiar path to the Astronomy Tower to think.

Halfway there, muffled sobs reached my ears. I slowed, following the sound to a secluded alcove behind a tapestry.