Chapter Nine

EXT. CINCINNATI RACING TRACK - DAY

As Lightning concludes his tale from the past, they find themselves back on the historic racing track in Cincinnati. Sally and Mater, impressed by the recounting of Lightning's early racing days, react with admiration.

SALLY (smiling) That's an incredible story, Lightning. Your first race sounds like a real challenge.

MATER (chuckling) And here I thought all you did was drive fast. Didn't know there were chess moves on wheels!

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (laughing) It was a bit of everything, Mater. Racing's not just about speed; it's about strategy and staying ahead.

SALLY (nodding) You've come a long way from that first race, Lightning. It's inspiring to see how you've overcome every challenge.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (grateful) Thanks, Sally. Every race teaches you something new, and that one set the tone for the journey ahead.

As they continue to drive around the track, the memories of that pivotal race linger in the air, a testament to Lightning McQueen's resilience and determination. Mater lets out a big yawn, breaking the moment of reminiscence.

MATER (yawning) All this talk about racing's makin' me sleepy. Where are we eatin' or sleepin' tonight?

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smiling) I was just about to suggest that. How about we find a place to rest, get refueled, and recharge for our next adventure?

SALLY (nodding) That sounds like a plan. A good night's rest will do wonders for all of us.

As they drive off the racing track, the trio sets out to find a cozy spot to eat and a comfortable place to spend the night. The city lights of Cincinnati twinkle in the background as they head toward the next chapter of their journey. 

INT. HOTEL LOBBY - NIGHT

The trio arrives at a charming hotel in Cincinnati, eager to get some well-deserved rest after a day filled with memories and racing stories. They approach the front desk, where a friendly car with a nametag that reads "Larry" greets them.

LARRY (enthusiastically) Well, if it ain't Lightning McQueen himself! Welcome to our hotel! How can I assist you today?

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smiling) Hey there, Larry. We need three rooms for the night.

LARRY (excited) Three rooms for the racing legend? You got it! It's an honor to have you here, McQueen.

As Larry prepares the room keys, Mater leans in with a mischievous grin.

MATER (teasing) You're a fan, huh?

LARRY (nodding) Absolutely! I've followed Lightning's career since the beginning. It's like meeting a racing hero in person!

SALLY (chuckling) Well, Larry, we appreciate your hospitality.

LARRY (grinning) No need to worry about a thing. Your rooms and room service are on the house! Consider it a fan's gesture.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (surprised) Really? That's mighty generous of you, Larry.

LARRY (smiling) It's the least I can do for the racing icon. Enjoy your stay, and if you need anything, just give me a holler.

With room keys in hand and gratitude in their hearts, the trio heads to their respective rooms, looking forward to a comfortable night's rest.

INT. HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

Lightning and Mater settle into one of the hotel rooms, ready to unwind before a good night's sleep. Sally heads to her room, bidding them goodnight.

SALLY (smiling) G'night, boys. Rest up for another day of adventures.

As the door closes, Lightning and Mater make themselves comfortable. Mater grabs the remote, flipping through the channels until they land on "The Incredimobiles," a Cars version of "The Incredibles."

MATER (excited) Oh, I love this one! It's like they got superpowers, just like real superheroes.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (grinning) Yeah, it's always a good watch. And Dash Incredimobile REALLY lives up to his name.

As they enjoy the animated movie, Mater shifts the conversation to a more serious topic.

MATER (thinking) Hey, Lightning, when do you reckon I should get them wedding mud flaps on?

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (confused) Wedding mud flaps? Mater, you planning on getting married?

MATER (smiling) You know what I mean, buddy.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (jokingly) Oh, you mean when should I get my wedding mud flaps on?

MATER (nodding) Exactly! When do you reckon that'll happen?

Lightning, catching on to Mater's playful mix-up, decides to tease him a bit.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smirking) Well, Mater, I think you might be jumping ahead a bit. Aren't you thinking of you and Holley?

MATER (realizing) Oh, right! I meant you and Sally.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (laughing) Don't worry, Mater. When the time comes, I'll make sure to get those wedding mud flaps on.

MATER (chuckling) That's the spirit, buddy.

The animated movie "The Incredimobiles" comes to an end, and Mater, thoroughly entertained, stretches with a satisfied grin.

MATER (exhaling) Now, that's what I call a good movie!

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (chuckling) Yeah, it was a fun watch. Always love the part when they take down the giant robot.

Mater yawns, a sign that it's time for him to call it a night.

MATER (wide yawn) Well, buddy, I'm plum tuckered out. G'night, Lightning.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smiling) Goodnight, Mater. Get some good rest. Tomorrow's another thrilling day.

Mater heads to his room, excitement bubbling within him for the adventures that await. As he shuts the door, the two friends bid each other goodnight.

MATER (from the next room) G'night, buddy!

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (chuckles) G'night, Mater!

With the door closed, Lightning takes a moment to reflect on the day's journey. He drifts into a peaceful sleep, only to find himself immersed in another racing memory from his past.

INT. PISTON CUP RACING ACADEMY - FLASHBACK - NIGHT

Young Lightning McQueen, still a rookie in training, is on the practice track at the academy. The night is quiet, illuminated by the track lights. Teacher Hargraves, stern yet caring, is guiding Lightning through the paces.

YOUNG LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (frustrated) I just can't get that turn right!

Teacher Hargraves watches as Lightning misses turns and bumps into the wall several times. She finally decides to intervene.

TEACHER HARGRAVES (halting the practice) Alright, Lightning, take a break. We'll resume in five minutes.

Young Lightning, feeling discouraged, wonders if he'll ever master the tricky turn. However, the stern tone in Teacher Hargraves' voice softens as she addresses her student.

TEACHER HARGRAVES (softly) You've been through a tough month, Lightning. Losing your mother was hard on you, and I understand.

In the flashback, the young Lightning McQueen, dealing with the recent loss of his mother, who passed of engine failure, listens intently to his teacher.

TEACHER HARGRAVES (continuing) But let me tell you something, Lightning. In all my years at this academy, I've never seen a racer as determined and brave as you.

Young Lightning, touched by the words of encouragement, feels a renewed sense of determination.

YOUNG LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smiling) Thanks, Teacher Hargraves. I'll get that turn right.

The flashback fades as Lightning continues to dream, the echoes of Teacher Hargraves' encouraging words lingering in his subconscious.

That last part was touching. 🥺😢😥 Got me in the heart. Ahem. Anyway, tell me what you think of the dream Lightning had or anything you like about this chapter. Peace out, ya'll!