Chapter Fourteen

EXT. LOS ANGELES - DAY

The trio stands near Steve, the familiar truck, now hauling an empty trailer. Lightning McQueen, overjoyed to have his old friend back, contemplates the idea of heading back home to Radiator Springs.

SALLY (confused) Why are we heading back to Radiator Springs, Lightning?

As they ponder the decision, a familiar honk interrupts their conversation. It's Steve, the truck, offering a solution.

STEVE (honking) How 'bout we hit the road? Two in the trailer, one outside. What do you say?

MATER (excited) I'll stay outside! I gotta tell Steve all about the excitement.

Mater votes to stay outside, leaving Lightning and Sally with the option to share the trailer. Mater, with a mischievous grin, leans in and whispers to Lightning.

MATER (slyly) You know, buddy, the trailer might be the perfect place to do what you gotta do with Sally.

Mater winks and Lightning rolls his eyes at his friend's antics, but a small smile forms on his face. The decision is made, and Lightning and Sally climb into the trailer, ready for the journey back to Radiator Springs.

INT. STEVE'S TRAILER - EN ROUTE TO RADIATOR SPRINGS - DAY

The journey back to Radiator Springs is underway, with Lightning and Sally comfortably settled in the trailer towed by Steve. As they travel down the road, Steve becomes the eager audience for Lightning's recounting of recent events.

STEVE (surprised) You're the hero of another town now? Boy, you've been busy, Lightning!

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (smiling) It's not like I planned it, Steve. Things just have a way of happening.

SALLY (chuckling) He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Steve listens intently, absorbing the tales of Lightning's adventures. Then Lightning drops the bombshell about Teacher Hargreaves becoming the dean of the academy and the part of the school named after him.

STEVE (amazed) Teacher Hargreaves is the dean? And you've got a whole part of the school named after you? Well, I'll be a lug nut!

Lightning nods proudly, and Sally chimes in.

SALLY (smiling) He's more than just a racer, Steve. Lightning's become an inspiration.

Steve, hauling his precious cargo down the highway, is filled with a sense of pride for his old friend.

STEVE (grinning) Looks like I've been driving around with a real celebrity!

As the road trip nears its end, Lightning finds himself surrounded by the comforting walls of the trailer, with Sally by his side. The time has come for him to muster the courage to ask a question that has been lingering in his heart.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (taking a deep breath) Sally, there's something I've been meaning to ask you.

SALLY (smiling) What is it, Lightning?

Unbeknownst to them, Mater, ever the curious friend, is eavesdropping from the outside, straining to catch every word. Steve, focused on the road, can sense the tension inside the trailer.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN (looking into Sally's eyes) Mater once told me about taking the next lap in life, the biggest one. And, well, I think this might just be it.

Sally's expression changes, sensing the significance of Lightning's words. Lightning, with a nervous yet determined smile, reveals a ring hidden behind his tail fin.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN Sally, will you be my... Cozy Cone?

Sally, delighted and touched, reacts to the ring, a symbol of Lightning's love and commitment.

SALLY (teary-eyed) Yes, Lightning. A thousand times, yes!

In this moment of joy, Lightning and Sally, in their car form, embrace each other symbolically. Outside the trailer, Mater can't contain his excitement any longer. 

MATER (excited) Yee-haw! 

Steve, still driving steadily, can't help but smile at the unfolding scene in his rearview mirrors.

Finally! Lightning proposed to Sally! Tell me what you think of what Lightning's been through to gain the courage to ask Sally to marry him. I'd bet if they made an ACTUAL Cars 4 (because I pictured this like a sequel to Cars 3 as a movie) they'd have him and Sally finally tying the knot. Don't forget to leave a comment or a vote. Ka-chow! And congrats, Lightning!