(xiii). maybe pain's the price you pay to love someone

Malia sits up, hearing gunfire outside her cell and she quickly stands up.

"What is going on?" Johanna calls out.

"I don't know," Malia says, stepping back when she sees a masked figure approaching her cell.

"Hey, get away from her!" Peeta calls out.

The door opens and Malia looks around for the nearest sharp object but she has no luck. As the masked figure gets closer to her, she kicks them right in the gut.

She watches as they stumble backwards and she rushes forward, grabbing a hold of the cell door and is about to slam it into their head when a familiar voice cries out.

"Woah woah woah! Please don't hurt me!"

Their hands come up, waving frantically in front of themselves before they reach up and pull off the mask.

"Holy shit, Jake!?" Malia asks.

"There's no time to explain," Jake tells her. "We have to get you out of here, right now!"

Malia steps outside her cell and looks around at all the dead Peacekeepers that had been guarding her cell for weeks and she shakes her head.

"Jake, but how did you–" Malia began.

Jake grabs hold of her shoulders, shaking her slightly.

"I just said there's no time to explain!" Jake growls at her.

He lets go of her shoulders and grabs hold of her arm before dragging her along behind him.

He barely turns the corner before he's knocked to the ground. Before Malia has even the slightest chance to retaliate, a knife is pressed up against her throat and she's shoved to her knees.

"Malia!" Jake cries out, he's roughly lifted off the ground before being shoved onto his knees. He can feel the cold barrel of a gun pressed against the back of his neck and he raises his hands in surrender.

The main Peacekeeper takes off his mask before crouching in front of Jake, a chuckle leaving his lips.

"Jake Griffin, in our grasp as well," He chuckles. "Did you really think you could just swoop in and save her?"

"Listen, Bartholomew," Jake snorts. "Uh, can I call you Bart? I'm gonna call you Bart."

"Only my friends call me, Bart," Bartholomew retorts.

"No way!" Jake exclaims. "See, I think we're going to be the bestest of friends, Bart."

"I literally have someone pointing a gun at your head," Bartholomew tells him.

"No friendship ever started out perfect," Jake smiles.

Bartholomew shakes his head slightly before punching Jake across the face. He makes eye contact with Jake before heading over towards Malia.

"Hey buddyyyyy," Jake says. "Where you going?"

"The Cutthroat Queen," Bartholomew chuckles, crossing his arms as he looks down at her.

"Hey, no!" Jake exclaims. "Get away from her! Malia, I will get us out of this, I swear!"

"You can't escape the Capitol no matter how hard you try," Bartholomew tells her, crouching down to her eye level. "Jake might've gotten in but... no one's getting out."

"Fuck you," Malia spat at him, closing her eyes when he grabs hold of her chin.

"Is that a threat or a promise?" Bartholomew asks. "You and I could have some fun of our own."