(i). we all need someone to stay

Malia stood in front of the giant screen inside the Capitol building. It was the third day in the arena and her male tribute, Augustus Braun, was still alive. Her female tribute wasn't so lucky– she was killed in the bloodbath by the male tribute of district seven.

It was her first year as a mentor, and she had been trying her best to give her mentees advice that aligned with advice that Jake had given her last year. Sponsors were the most challenging part as her job of being a mentor– it was her duty to make Augustus look like the next victor and she had been finding it harder to do so lately with her health.

She didn't know what came over her– she was perfectly fine the day before– but all day she had the nauseous feeling of needing to throw up. She thought the feeling would eventually go away as the day went by but her condition only worsened.

"Mal!" a voice called out and Malia quickly looked over at the other mentor approaching.

"Finnick," Malia greeted before turning her attention back to the screen in front of her. "Sorry about your mentees."

"I see Augustus is still alive," Finnick says, nodding at her in acknowledgement. "Guess he could use these."

All the remaining sponsor money that was given to Finnick's now deceased mentees were transferred over to Malia and she smiled before nodding slightly at him as a thank you.

Finnick watched as Malia tapped away at the screen in front of her– adding the sponsor money she was just given to the money Augustus already had. His brows furrow when he watches as Malia hunches over, her arm wrapped around her stomach.

"Hey," Finnick says, stepping closer and placing his hand gently on her back. "Are you okay?"

"Have Jake take over, I can't– I can't do this right now," Malia says before brushing Finnick's hand away and rushing out the room.

"Malia!" Finnick called after her but she didn't even look back at him.

All the remaining mentors that had been in the sponsor room seemed to have drifted their attention towards them and Finnick gave a slight smile. "Carry on! Don't mind me."

All the mentors shook their heads before turning back to their own individual screens.

Finnick left the room before finding Jake amongst all the other Capitol citizens watching the Games.

"Malia needs you to take over for a bit," Finnick tells him, grabbing his arm.

Jake doesn't even question– he simply just nods and watches as Finnick runs off in a certain direction.

Finnick found Malia hunched over a trash can in the Capitol building, her long red hair hanging in her face. He didn't say anything, but he could tell from the way she was retching that she was sick. He approached her slowly, not wanting to startle her, and placed a gentle hand on her back.

Malia didn't say anything, but she leaned into his touch, grateful for the comfort he was offering. Finnick held back her hair with one hand and rubbed circles on her back with the other, soothing her as she continued to vomit.

The sound of her retching was loud in the empty hallway, but Finnick didn't seem to mind. He was focused on Malia, on helping her through this moment of weakness. They didn't need to say anything to each other - the unspoken understanding between them was enough.

Finally, Malia stopped vomiting and leaned back against the wall, exhausted. Finnick stayed by her side, still holding her hair and rubbing her back.

"You shouldn't be here right now," Malia tells him, using the back of her sleeve to wipe her mouth. "I don't need you seeing me like this."