Chapter 3 - Our enemies

"We'll poison them?"

Chief Benja is walking down the hall of the palace in Heart with Ray, when you suddenly roll up in front of them. You started to imitate fighting in front of them, the few things you knew. Your brother chuckled and joined you.

"Well, someone's exited." Chief Benja comments, looking at you.

"Well, yeah! I mean, anyone hoping to steal the dragon gem now has to face the fury of the two baddest blades in all the lands." You stated. "My Ba and brother." You add excitedly and Chief Benja chuckles when your brother exclaim a Yeah! at you statement.

"I'm glad you feel that way, my dewdrops, because i have something important to tell you. The other lands, they're on their way here, as we speak."

"They are?" Ray asks with wide eyes. "Uh.. okay. Okay, no, we can do this. We're ready. I know exactly how we'll stop them." Ray says.

"Really? Tell me, what you know about the other lands." Chief Benja says to his children.

"First, Tail. A sweltering desert with sneaky mercenaries, who fight dirty.
Second, Talon. A floating market for fast deals and fighters with even faster hands.
Third, Spine. A frigid bamboo forest guarded by exceptionally large warriors, and their giant axes." Ray tells him.

"And fourth, Fang!" You exclaim to interrupt and finish for your brother. "Our fiercest enemy. A nation protected by angry assassins and their even angrier cats. Why are they so angry? Maybe they need a hug." You say, thinking to yourself.

Chief Benja smiles to himself at his daughter.

Tuk Tuk hissed, imitating a cat as you walked into the kitchen. You grabbed the animal and hugged it. At first it squeaked in surprise then it melted into your embrace, a huge smile forming on his face.

"Okay, so we're gonna need some crossbows and catapults and.." Ray starts.

"Oh! What about flaming catapults?" You ask as you put Tuk Tuk back on his shoulder.

"Yes, yes!" Rays exclaims at your suggestion.

"Or, how about shrimp paste from Tail, lemongrass from Talon, bamboo shoots from Spine, chilis from Fang and palm sugar from Heart?" Chief Benja asks his children.

"We'll poison them?" Ray asks and Chief Benja laughs.

"No, we're not going to poison them and we're not going to fight them. We're going to share a meal with them." He tells his son.

"Really!?" You squeal and jump excitedly and he smiles down at you with a nod.

"Wait, what?" Ray asks in disbelief.

"I invited them." Benja tells him.

You go over to the chilli's from Fang, sniffing it. You get it too close to your nose and sneeze, making your father chuckle and take it away from you.

"But they're our enemies." Ray says.

"They're only our enemies because they think the Dragon Gem magically brings us prosperity." He tells his children as he pours them soup and gives them the bowls.

"That's ridiculous. It doesn't do that." You say frowning.

"They assume it does, just like we assume things about them."

"Ray, Y/N, there's a reason why each land is named after a part of the dragon. We were once unified harmoniously as one, Kumandra."

"That's ancient history, Ba." Ray say.

"But it doesn't have to be. Listen, if we don't stop and learn to trust one another again, it's only a matter of time before we tear each other apart. This isn't the world i want you two to live in." He tells you and your brother. "I believe that we can be Kumandra again. But someone has to take the first step."

You look up at your father in awe as you listen to him.

"Trust me." Chief Benja looks at his son. Ray sighs, but smiles up at his father.

You look out at the view with a smile on your face, exited about meeting the other lands.