Chapter 9- How Did I Not See This Coming?

Oh My Glob guys!!!! Almost 300 reads!!! I love each and every one of you!!! Thank you so much! And incase you haven't noticed.. If you comment some decent feedback on this story, I'll give you a chapter dedication.. I accept constructive criticism with open arms! Fireaway, youngbloods! :D

Ryan's POV

I adjusted my microphone, admiring the looks on Brendon's face as we stepped to our positions. I couldn't help but grin. I hadn't been this close to Brendon for four years, I had my reason but it still felt good to be this close to him. I gave him a quick smile before strumming a few chords on my guitar. We sang a more harmonic take on 'Happy Birthday' and then did a few of our other songs. It didn't recquire half as much energy as Panic! did. I took a quick swig of water and followed Jon to Brendon's table.

"Hey Stranger!" He smiled, clearly more pleased to see me  than I was to see him. It felt sort of awkward. How was I supposed to act? Like nothing had happened? Like everything had happened? A fresh start? Pick up where we last laughed off. Realizing I'd taken too long to respond, I shook my head. 

"Sorry, I just zoned out.." I sort-of-lied. He didn't seem to mind, he was just grinning at me. "Happy Birthday, Brendon." I smiled.

"Thank you! And thank you for coming! I've missed you!" He was still grinning. He looked like he was in shock. Guilt kicked in, why wasn't I reacting the same? Maybe we'd just grown apart. Jon began to talk to Spencer, the two never really lost touch. I glanced nervously at Sarah,

"So this is your wife?" I said, knowing full well that it was. 

"Yeah, Sarah... I did invite you to the wedding, I guess you never got the invititation.." He trailed off, looking at his hands. I recieved the invite, so did Jon. I couldn't go, I couldn't trust myself not to object. I was still in love with him, hence why I hadn't really moved on. I skillfully avoided that subject, I was a terrible liar, 

"Pleasure to meet you, Sarah.." I smiled, taking her hand and kissing it gently. She giggled slightly, her hand going limp in my own. "What?" I asked, a little worried I'd done something stupid.

"Such a gentleman.. You remind me of Brenny!" She grinned. Blood rushed to my cheeks, undoubtedly I was blushing. I placed her hand once again on the table.

"Thanks, I guess.." I said, looking at the table, then I remembered, "Oh, Brendon!" I exclaimed, reaching in my back pocket. "I bring gifts!" He clapped his hands excitedly as I ran through to the back room where I'd left his presents. One large blue bag, tied with a blue silk ribbon from my parents, who still seemed to think he was 15 and a smaller black and red bag from himself. I took the seat next to him again. I handed him the blue bag first, "Off the parents.." Brendon accepted the bag, blushing a little. 

"They remember me?" He said, sounding a little touched, emotional even. I nodded, smiling at him.   The tint in cheek reminded me of the affectionate, caring Brendon I'd known and fallen in love with. Oh no.. How did I not see this coming? I was falling for him again. That man was infectious! No wonder he was the new cancer. Oh, shouldn't have thought that, the wounds of Panic! were still tender and that was salt water. His mouth gaped open as he pulled out what my mother had picked out for him.

"Oh my god!" He practically squealed, wrapping his arms around my neck.  I shook my head, chuckling a little. It was just a t-shirt, The Smashing Pumpkins I think.  "Thank you!" He smiled. 

"Don't thank me, mine's the black box.." I said, hoping he'd like it as much as he did this. He went through all the other gifts my parent's had bought him over the last 4 years. He was ecstatic by the end, his left leg shaking. 

"I love your parents so much!" He grinned, reaching for my box. He twirled the red ribbon thoughtfully between his fingers, such a simple but caring action. I don't know why it caught my attention.  He slowly tore the paper and looked inside the box. He face drained of colour and his words caught in his throat. I stopped dead,

"What's wrong? Don't you like it?" I said worried, my eyebrows arching. I think I'd have to leave if he hated it that much. He shook his head urgently,

"I- it's- I-" He couldn't speak. What had I done? "It's perfect.." He choked, a tear forming in his eye. Sarah peeked at his present, wanting to know what was causing the comotion.

"What is it?" She said, confused. She dragged the delicate notebook out with no consideration, "It's just a bunch of doodles! How is that a nice present? I always knew you were heartless, Ross.." She spat venomously.  It hurt. That notebook was the present Brendon had bought me for my 14th birthday, he told me to give it him back when it was full. And now it was.  Brendon snatched it back and glared at Sarah.

"How dare you! You have no idea how much this means to me!" His bottom lip was quivvering and tears had began to fall. And I had started a row. This was never going to be a good idea...