Merlin's Gold - Chapter 11 - Silbury Hill

Chapter 11 – Silbury Hill

Grayle watched with interest as Guinevere and Iseult practised their archery skills. He had not seen his aunt use a bow for some time, and had forgotten how fluid and sure her movements were, and how skilled she was. Both women were dressed in trews, and wore tight fitting leather waistcoats to reduce the chance of clothes or other attributes getting caught in the bow string.

Iseult had very quickly become used to the feel of the recurved bow Guinevere had suggested she use, and the light shorter range weapon seemed to suit her perfectly. His aunt was now correcting her on minor points of stance before letting her shoot.

The girl glanced over her shoulder at Grayle, who was sitting quietly on a nearby bench with Anna, and smiled warmly at him before turning her attention back to her teacher.

"Now, as you draw, keep your hand in close to your check, other arm straight. Sight along the arrow, find your centre. If you breathe in as you draw, the expansion in your chest muscles adds to power in your arms to draw the string back smoothly. Once you have drawn back with the fletching of the arrow nestling against your cheek, bring the arrow down onto target, breathe out, and before you breathe back in again, correct your aim and fire, and..."

There was a near simultaneous twang, sharp smacking sound, a thud, and high pitched "ouch" as Iseult dropped the bow, clutching at the tender skin on the inside of her left arm.

".... and I was about to say that before you release the string, make sure you have your leather bracer on your arm, or the bow string may hit it and it'll sting like hell. Right, go and get the bracer, and we'll try it with an arrow this time."

Iseult scowled at Grayle who was grinning broadly at her. Anna next to him crammed her hand over her mouth in an attempt to stop giggling, but failed, and scampered behind Grayle's back to try and muffle the laughter.

Still rubbing her left forearm furiously, the girl walked to the pile of equipment next to Grayle, smacked him round the head with the leather cuff she picked up, and walked back to a smiling Guinevere lacing up the bracer. Slipping the leather tab back on over her fingers to protect her drawing hand, she nocked another arrow and started again, her arrow finding the edge of the straw target a few moments later.

Grayle watched arrow after arrow wing its way to the target, marvelling at the speedy improvement of Iseult as she practised, Guinevere occasionally interjecting with a minor correction or note of praise.

After a few minutes, he became aware of Percival standing next to him, also watching as the ladies practised.

"Are you sure she hasn't done this before Grayle?" he said softly. "She's very good isn't she?"

"She is." Grayle nodded, watching as another arrow thudded into the target. "It's time to go isn't it?"

"Aye lad, it is. I'm sorry. Go and make your goodbyes son, we'll be leaving shortly."

Guinevere, noticing Percival's presence, put down her bow and lifted a protesting Anna from the bench, wandering nonchalantly after Percival to leave the two youngsters alone for a few moments.

~

Grayle cast a smile back at Iseult as the column started moving. He was saddened to leave, but relieved Iseult was in a safe place. He looked over at his father who was having a last few words with Arthur. They clasped hands and Percival drew his horse alongside. "All well?" he asked.

"Yes, but I hope you've packed enough bacon for grandfather," noted Grayle smiling, "you know how much he enjoys it."

"Would I dare forget?" Percival kicked his heels gently to his horse's flanks, and the column moved along the cobbled streets of Camelot, and out along the road towards Silbury Hill.