Merlin's Gold - Epilogue

Epilogue

The two men fighting were sweating heavily: both were armed with a short sword and long knife, their plate armour dented and scratched. The airy room with its high windows was furnished with many weapons, but apart from the two rapidly tiring men, the room was empty.

"Have you had enough, Sir Knight?" said one of the armoured forms, his voice echoing hollowly inside the full faced helmet.

In answer, the other lowered his sword and placed his weapons on the floor of the training hall. Lifting his visor, the grinning face of Percival appeared from behind the metal, sweat pouring down his face. As Arthur also lifted his visor, they moved together and helped each other remove the various sections of armour. Once divested of metal, the two sat together in a window seat, a tall jug of water and two goblets settled on a nearby table.

"So how did it feel?" asked Arthur.

Percival flexed his left hand. "I think the bones are pretty much knitted back together. It certainly took a pounding from you, and although it creaked a few times, I think it'll hold up. To be honest I don't think I'll be using a shield again unless I absolutely have to though, a direct hit on a shield braced by my left arm would not be comfortable."

"That's good to hear Val. I'm glad you're fit again, it's been a long couple of months."

Percival nodded in agreement and changed the subject, a look of concern on his face. "Are you well Arthur, you looked grim this morning after the messenger had arrived?"

Arthur sighed and looked into Percival's worried eyes before replying, his tone soured with disappointment. "King Kurs is dead. We had word from one of our spies in the Saxon camp this morning. It appears Hengist had a younger brother who was not best pleased with Kurs taking the throne, so all we achieved following the battle at Silbury, and the death of Hengist is for naught. We now have to deal with yet another new Saxon king, and I suspect we will have another round of skirmishes along the eastern border."

"Do you need me there to help?" Percival asked.

"No my friend, you have had enough border fighting for now. Bedevere and Bors are on their way and will keep a low profile for a while to ascertain the lie of the land. I do however have another mission for you."

"Your wish is my command, my King," said Percival inclining his head.

"You may regret saying that old friend; it will require a certain amount of diplomacy."

Percival groaned and smiled at Arthur. "So be it, I could probably do with a bit more rest on this arm if I'm honest. How is Anna now?"

Arthur smiled, his expression lighting up as he thought of his daughter. "She was worried when her mother came back home so cut and battered, but thankfully she is young enough to know little of the horrors of war. I never said thank you for trying to talk Guinevere out of fighting Morgause by the way, but you know how stubborn she can be."

"I do now," replied Percival. "This is why I never married."

"Never say never Val," said Arthur grinning. "She did at least save me from having to deal with Morgause. A nunnery would never have forgiven me for sending her to them, and it would've cost me a fortune."

"Why did she kill Lancelot?" Percival asked, his voice hushed. "Of all of us, he was the best."

"He was also celibate," replied Arthur. "I just don't think she could handle that. He rejected her utterly. Lancelot and Guinevere were great friends, and they talked about many things: one of those conversations revolved around Morgause. Every time she came to Camelot she made advances to Lancelot, and in the end, he had to tell her to leave him alone rather bluntly to get his point across.