Merlin's Gold - Chapter 7 - Love's Dark Fury

Chapter 7 - Love's Dark Fury

"It won't be long now," she muttered to herself.

Morgause stood looking out of the small window in her suite of rooms. Located as they were above a small Inn overlooking the Cathedral green, she was able to watch as the men from Cornwall gathered in preparation for their journey.

The Cornish miners had finally arrived, and following a night's rest, they had started arranging the equipment that would form a baggage train of pack animals, with several wagons to carry the men.

There was a soft rap on the door, and she turned away from the window. "Enter," she said.

A man in the uniform of a Tintagel soldier slipped quickly into the room and dropped to one knee in front of her, the white cross on black background showing plainly in the early morning light.

"My Lady," he said by way of greeting.

"I take it you will be going with Mark to Silbury Hill?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"That's a shame, I need that fat fool of a Bishop kept an eye on. No matter, there are other ways. You have done well so far in serving me, the information you have passed to me has been useful.

"How long do you have before you are missed?" she asked with a coy smile on her face.

"Long enough," said the man as he stood up and stepped in close, kissing her upturned face.

She kissed him deeply and led him to the four-poster bed in the corner of the room. "Long enough indeed," she said giving the man a hungry look as she drew him down to her.

~~~

It was time to say goodbye.

King Mark, Merlin, Morholt and the fifty liveried soldiers of Cornwall, a group of twenty miners led by their Foreman, Cadan, and another fifty soldiers from the Exeter City Guard were packed and ready to go to Silbury Hill. A long train of mules carried the mining equipment, tents, and other miscellaneous items required by the group, and wagons drawn by oxen had been employed to carry the unhorsed soldiers and miners.

A smaller group were also ready to leave and rested off to one side. Percival, Grayle, Bishop David and Iseult were to travel in the company of a couple of Exeter City soldiers, and there was also Camlan, who was to continue Grayle's training, several members of the Bishop's personal retinue, and a local merchant who had asked to travel with them rather than chancing the roads alone.

Mark and Percival clasped hands, and Mark enfolded Grayle in a massive hug.

"I'll see you gentlemen soon. We'll get the camp set up at Silbury and start these good Cornish boys a-digging. Ask Arthur for some more soldiers and supplies, there's a good lad." The last comment was directed at Percival, who nodded his agreement.

Morholt shouted the larger of the two parties into a semblance of order, and in slow file they moved out of the city, heading to the east and Silbury Hill.

"Right then lady and gentlemen, shall we make a move?" said Percival.

David nodded and looked thoughtful. "I do believe we might make Tiverton by lunchtime," he said. "There's a very good Inn there that serves a wonderful meat pie."

"Father likes a good meat pie," said Grayle softly, earning a scowl from his father.

Iseult threw a questioning look at him and he smiled at her. "It's a long-standing joke, My Lady," he noted. "I'll let Arthur tell the story when we reach Camelot. He tells it very well and does a startlingly good impression of father."