Merlin's Gold - Chapter 19 - Dragon Blessed

Chapter 19 – Dragon Blessed

"My word," said Arthur in a hushed whisper. He and Merlin stood at the base of the Pit, Merlin holding the lantern high so Arthur could inspect the area. The eastern chamber had been emptied, the treasure bagged and lifted up the shaft, and now the men above were taking a brief rest in the sun as Arthur and Merlin looked at the remaining treasure in the western chamber.

"How long until all the treasure is out?"

"Another two days I think Arthur, we almost made it in time," replied Merlin bitterly.

"Don't worry Merlin, even if the treasure had been lifted, the Saxons could have still attacked us on the road back to Camelot. No, no running. We must stand and fight here, and we must beat them into submission. It's time Hengist was sent scuttling back to his chalk cliffs with his tail between his legs. This fight is long overdue."

Arthur changed the subject. "What lies in the other chambers?"

"Why don't we find out?" Merlin smiled at Arthur. "Just the south one though, that feels right, the north chamber will have to wait. I don't want to disturb anything that shouldn't be disturbed."

"Sometimes I think you know too much Merlin, it worries me you have all that information swirling around in your head," said Arthur. "What else do you know about this mound?"

"I will be buried here."

Arthur looked at him sharply. "What?"

"I will be buried here. I know not when, but I know this. One day I will lie in that eastern chamber, and one day another magician will join me in the west. I have no idea who the other magician is, or indeed when he or she will arrive. But, one day it will happen."

"And this gives you pleasure?" asked Arthur noting the smile on the old man's face.

"It gives me peace Arthur. After all these years, it gives me peace. Knowing one day I will lie buried here in this magnificent place calms my restless soul. I have travelled all over the known world and learned wondrous things, but to know I will rest here is a joyful thing."

Arthur moved forwards and embraced the old man. "I am happy you find joy in this Merlin, but I am in no rush to see you at rest."

"And I am in no hurry to lie down just yet Arthur, never fear." Merlin gathered himself and assumed his normal businesslike demeanour. "Right, let's get this wall down and see what surprises await us."

Arthur made short work of the simple infill wall standing between the ornately carved southern pillars, and the two of them peered into the gloom. A massive block of roughly squared off black stone stood in the centre of the room, the mummified corpse of a warrior laid in state on the bier. Spears lay either side of him, and decorative leather armour sagged on the desiccated skeleton.

"Who was he?" asked Arthur in a hushed tone.

"I'd say from the dragon banner that this is the lost King of the Summer County. Somerset has long mourned his loss and that of the Dragon Mace and standard. I suspect we may have found one of the Dragon Blessed."

"The what?" whispered Arthur.

"The last of the Dragon kin is said to have been slain several hundred years ago. The hoard it slept upon and protected was granted to the king of the Summer County, although many pieces of it went missing. Part of that hoard was a group of weapons. Excalibur is one, the Dragon Mace is another. I can feel it, Arthur, there is a weapon of power here, and we are the ones destined to find it, although we are not destined to wield it. That honour belongs to another of us I think.