Chapter 9

"That bastard! Who does he think he is? Calling me a clown when I was trying to help... That asshole!"

You mutter a bunch of wild curses as you walk through the empty streets. All of a sudden, you hear a growl coming from your stomach.

"Gosh... I feel so hungry! I haven't eaten anything after yesterday's breakfast..."

After walking for a few minutes or so, you come across a bakery while crossing the main street. You stop in front of the glass entrance, staring at the colorful pastries arranged inside the long display counters. "Wow, They look so yummy! ...I wish I could have just one..." Frustrated, your frown deepens as you exhale a small sigh before turning away.

You enter a small alleyway, the place being a bit dark even in the day. As you're walking forward, you sense someone staring at you from behind. The stare feels so intense that it starts to creep you out, prompting you to speed up your pace. Your body starts sweating as the creature follows you with the same speed, its gaze glued to your back. Roughly within a minute, your legs begin to run. The creature trails along, moving at the exact pace as yours. After a short period of running, you come to an abrupt halt, finding your path being blocked by a giant wall. "No way... A dead end!"

You hastily turn around, finally setting eyes upon the thing that brought you here. Before you, a giant ant-like creature stands tall, its large head equipped with small pincers.

"An empusa!" you utter in shock, taking one step backwards.

Raising its forelimbs, the demon treads closer, its eyes glowing yellow in the dark.

"Ahhhhh!"

You crouch down in fear, screaming at the top of your lungs as your hands spring up to shield your head. You scrunch your eyes before you can hear bullets being shot from a distance. With a loud groan, the demon falls, blood being splattered on the ground.

"You okay there?"

You open your eyes, looking up towards the voice as you hear footsteps getting closer. You gasp upon seeing the tall figure standing before you.

"Y- you're..."

She wore a rainbow-colored crop top with a pink skirt, her blonde hair tied into a ponytail behind her head. Seeing your shocked face, she smiles to reassure you."It's okay, the demon's dead. You're safe now."

You stand up in awe as you eye her from head to toe. Her shiny pink boots and choker seems to be standing out among everything.

Noticing how you were unable to take your eyes off of her, she asks, "What's wrong? Never seen a woman this beautiful before? Or is it the guns?"

"Oh, no it's just... You look like a doll."

She chuckles at your remark."I'll take that as a compliment."

With a swift motion, she turns around, her hair cascading behind her as she slowly walks away.

"Ah- Wait!" you call out before catching up to her. "You... You saved me. Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome," she replies, flashing a smile.

"Umm... If you don't mind... Can I get a hug?" you ask nervously. A little surprised, she asks, "From me?" "Yeah..." You nod.

"Well, sure."With that, you both share a hug.

Wow! She smells like strawberries!

"Were you scared?" the blonde woman asks as you both pull away.

"Y- yeah, I was... That thing was huge!"

"Yeah, it somehow managed its way from Red Grave. Consider yourself lucky since I was in the area." She crosses her arms, shifting her weight from one leg to the other. "Say, what're you doing in a place like this? Judging by the atmosphere, this place doesn't appear suitable for living."

Hearing the question, you shift your gaze to the side, fidgeting. "I uhh... I was... just walking."

Noticing your nervousness, she asks, "Where were you going?"

"Umm... Nowhere specific."

She tilts her head."What does that mean?"

"Umm... The thing is..." While you're struggling to find what to say, suddenly your stomach rumbles, making a sound loud enough for even the woman to hear. "Whoops!"

The woman chuckles seeing you turn red in embarrassment. "Aww... Why now of all times..." You whisper to yourself, putting the palm of your hand on top of your tummy.

"That sounded more like a tiger's growl," the woman says with a mischievous grin.

You lower your head to the side, your cheeks bright red as you hear the woman's soft chuckle.

"You'd better tame that little demon of yours fast," she adds, still grinning at her words.

A sigh escapes your mouth hearing her suggestion. You scratch your head, finally admitting, "Actually, I'm hungry because I don't have any money... and anywhere to go. The situation's a little complicated and I'm new in this area so... I actually have no idea where I am right now."

"Hmm... No home and no money, are you a vagrant?"

"What? No, I just..." You sigh."It's complicated."

"Hmm..." She tilts her head, scrutinizing you from head to toe. "...Say, where did you sleep last night?"

"Oh..." You slightly furrow your brows as you answer, "An old geezer let me spend the night at his place. But he talks too much so I just left the place. And besides, he-" Suddenly, another growl from your stomach interrupts you before you can finish.

Your face gets beet red this time. The woman laughs, "Seems like your stomach can't wait till we finish our conversation." Putting a hand on your shoulder, she adds, "Come with me." With that, she turns and starts walking in the opposite direction. You hurry behind her without any question as she leads you out through the alleyway.