Chapter 8

As morning arrives, you slowly open your eyes, finding yourself lying flat on the couch. You rise from your position and sit up. As you look around, your eyes get locked on a huge pile of white boxes sitting right in front of Dante's desk.

"What is that...?"

You glance over to the desk. Dante is seated in his chair, his arms resting on top of the counter while his fingers stroke over the keys on... your laptop.

"Hey! What are you doing?"

Hearing your voice, he looks at you."Oh, up already?"

You quickly run over to his side. Bending over, you scan the laptop screen. "What are you doing?"

Dante leans back in his chair, striking a smile. "Experimenting."

You raise a brow before turning your eyes to the mountain of boxes kept in front. You cross your arms as you ask, "What exactly did you do?"

Placing both hands behind his head, Dante responds, "Well, this place felt kinda messy so I did a bit of cleaning."

"What?" you squint. You look around his desk. All the papers and files that are usually scattered around on the floor were gone.

"Wait, did you...?"

Realizing what he actually did, you snatch the laptop from his desk.

"Hey!" he grumbles, "What gives?"

"Let me guess... You altered the appearance of the papers and turned them into these pizza boxes, didn't you?" you claim, walking towards the stack.

"So what? Doesn't free pizza sound tempting?" he reasons with a pout.

"But you didn't ask for my permission!"

"Heh..." He scoffs, "Look who's talking... Did you ask for my permission before using my office as your new bedroom?"

"Oh, don't tell me you already forgot! Who was the one that blew off my ride yesterday, hmm?"

"How was I supposed to know that the princess can't get back to her castle without a carriage?"

"You can give all the excuses you want, but it won't change the fact that you did blow my ride!"

Dante gazes at you with a slight grin on his face. You take notice of that as you ask, "What's so funny?"

He leans forward over his desk, placing both hands on the surface. "Did you know? Your face turns red when you're angry."

"What!?" You immediately cover your cheeks with your palms. He laughs as he gets up, stepping closer. "Well, that was a cute reaction," he states, folding his arms.

"Ugh... You!" you turn your head to the side, averting your gaze from his. He laughs again. "Look how red you've become! I guess being tough was just for show."

"Stop that. That's enough."

"Aww, But I'm just starting to have fun."

You breathe out a small sigh before saying, "You should be more worried about yourself... and Red Grave. V told you what's gonna happen to the city, didn't he?"

"Hmm? How do you know that? Did he tell you too? Well... you don't need to worry about that. I can handle it," he assures, flashing a toothy grin.

"How are you so sure?" you ask."What if something goes wrong?"

"Nah... Nothing goes wrong when I'm doing the job."

"No, but this time is a little... I think you should be careful this time."

He raises a brow at your suggestion."You sound like ya know somethin' about the demon I've been assigned to kill."

"Well..." You take a moment before starting to speak, "You probably won't believe me but... I kinda know what's about to happen."

"Oh, is that so?" He raises his brows."And that is?"

You pause for a moment, thinking whether this is the right time to tell him. Will he believe you? What if he doesn't? But even so, you'd eventually feel the stab of guilt pierce your conscience if you just keep on hiding the information to yourself. So, in the end, you decide to be truthful as you reply, "You're... going to lose the fight."

Dante raises his brows hearing your statement. Soon after, he starts roaring with laughter, "Pff... ha ha ha!"

His booming laughter startles you. You take a moment before asking, "Why're you laughing? This isn't something funny."

He places one hand on top of his stomach and the other over his forehead as he continues to guffaw. Your frown deepens seeing his blatant disregard towards your warning. Before it drags for too long, he eventually comes to a stop.

"Are you done?" you ask, your voice stern.

"Yeah... I think," he replies while wiping the tears off from his eyes, "Ya know, you'd make a great clown if you were in a circus."

Your eyes widen and your jaw drops at the remark."What did you just say!?" All of a sudden, you start to feel a burn in your chest, your head beginning to boil with the wrath forming inside. You explode in anger like a popped balloon, shouting,"How dare you!"

Raising his brow, Dante smirks,"What's wrong?"

Clenching your palms into fists, you start screaming,"Are you fucking kidding me!? Here I'm worrying and trying to help you out with your mission, and in exchange for that, you call me a clown?"

"Why? It seems to fit you perfectly," he states with a snicker.

"You're such a jerk!" you cry."You don't have to believe me if you don't want to! You'll see for yourself when the time comes!"

"Whoa there... Is this how you show your gratitude to the person who let you sleep over at his place?"

"You don't deserve my gratitude. I literally told you the future, and you called me a clown! This is the reason why Nero couldn't let it go when you called him deadweight!"

"What?" He pauses."I never called him deadweight."

"But you're going to! And he's gonna hold the grudge for a month before he bitch slaps you at the end!"

"He what?!" Dante's face curls in confusion as he tries to comprehend what you just said.

"See if my words come true or not! And when it does, don't come crying to me for help!" With that last shout, you flash him a vicious glare before striding out of the shop, brutally slamming the doors behind you.

"Hmph... What a hot mess..." he murmurs to himself, watching you leave his office.