You Win or You Die

"Lord Tywin Lannister, summoned to court to answer for the crimes of your bannerman Gregor Clegane, the Mountain." Uh, "arrive within the fortnight or be branded an enemy of the Crown." Poor Ned Stark. Brave man, terrible judgment." Jamie says to his father.

"Attacking him was stupid." Tywin tells him as he begins skinning the stag.

"Lannisters don't act like fools." Tywin says.

He cuts open the belly of the stag and removes its intestines. Jamie looks at his father, ready to protest his claims.

"Are you gonna say something clever? Go on, say something clever." Tywin tells him.

"Catelyn Stark took my brother." Jamie replies as he stands there in his full armor.

"Why is he still alive?" Tywin asks leaving him confused.

"Tyrion?" Jamie asks.

"Ned Stark." Tywin answers.

"One of our men interfered, speared him through the leg before I could finish him." Jamie says.

"Why didn't one of your men help you when you got embarrassed by the 16 year old boy?" Tywin asks making Jamie angry.

"That 16 year old boy is as good as dead." Jamie replies making Tywin stop and turn to him.

"How?" He asks.

"Poison." Jamie replies smirking making Tywin hmm.

"You better hope so." Tywin tells him.

"Why is Ned Stark still alive?" Tywin asks again as he continues to cut the stag.

"It wouldn't have been clean." Jamie replies.

"Clean. You spend too much time worrying about what other people think of you." Tywin tells him.

"I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me." Jamie replies defensively.

"That's what you want people to think of you.-"It's the truth." Jamie replies annoyed, cutting him off.

"When you hear them whispering "Kingslayer" behind your back, doesn't it bother you?" He asks.

"Of course it bothers me." Jamie answers.

"The lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." Tywin says as he cuts the stag more.

"I suppose I should be grateful that your vanity got in the way of your recklessness." Tywin says before thinking for a moment.

"I'm giving you half of our forces.. 30,000 men. You will bring them to Catelyn Stark's girlhood home and remind her that Lannisters pay their debts." Tywin tells him.

"I didn't realize you placed such a high value on my brother's life." Jamie says surprisingly.

"He's a Lannister. He might be the lowest of the Lannisters, but he's one of us. And every day that he remains a prisoner, the less our name commands respect." Tywin says.

"So the lion does concern himself with the opinions of-"No, it's not an opinion, it's a fact!" Tywin yells cutting Jamie off.

"If another House can seize one of our own and hold him captive with impunity, we are no longer a House to be feared." Tywin tells him.

The two pause for a brief moment as they look at one another. Tywin stares a second longer before cutting the stag again.

"Your mother's dead. Before long, I'll be dead. And you, and your brother, and your sister and all of her children. All of us dead, all of us rotting in the ground.
It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on.
Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family. Do you understand?" Tywin asks him making Jamie nod.