𝟢𝟢𝟧. no phone rule.

CHAPTER SEVEN,
no phone rule.

19 APRIL 2021,
italy.

SHE LIED.

Nat wasn't really out with her dad, but rather with Charles.

After the race, Charles had tried to convince her that he was fine, but she wasn't all that convinced.

So, she ( rather impulsively ) forced him to go to Florence with her by train.

So here they were, in a small welcoming restaurant in the middle of Florence. Two people stood on the stage, one singing and the other playing the guitar, music wrapped around the small space in soft melodies.

The restaurant was so small that they were cramped up with the old couple on the table beside them. Nat's leg brushed up against Charles' as she shifted in her seat.

"I've always wanted to go to the Uffizi museum." Nat spoke lowly in French, she stared at the rose in the middle of the table, playing with the moisture on the side of her glass.

Charles frowned. "Really? Have you never gone before?"

"Never had the chance, I've either been too busy or too tired to go."

They sat in a corner in the restaurant, away from any prying eyes. There were candles and small lights scattered along the room, bringing a small intimate tenderness to their conversation.

Charles looked ( or rather stared ) at her, eyebrows scrunched up in concentration as she drew images onto the bottle of water, a heart, smiley face, a cloud. Her lips, which were painted with a pink sparkly gloss, were pursed.

As he looked at her, he noticed the slight freckles in her cheeks. Charles inhaled sharply, remembering he needed to breathe.

"We could go tomorrow?" His mouth spoke before his brain could register.

Charles quickly looked away when their eyes met.

"Sure."

His head snapped back. "What?"

Nat laughed at his shocked face. "What did you expect me to say?"

"I don't know..." He shrugged as he put his hand on the table, unintentionally brushing against her own.

He stared at the multitude of rings adorning her rings, watching them glisten and he curiously brushed his thumb against the one in her pinkie finger.

Seconds pass, but they feel like years, before she takes a sip of water, meaning, removing her hand away from his.

Nat cleared her throat, somehow it was still dry, and put the glass back down onto the table. "We should buy tickets beforehand, I really don't want to wait in line for an hour."

"Yeah," Charles nodded and was ready to pull out his phone before he remembered that the restaurant owners had taken away their phones when they'd entered.

It was a rule, to make people actually converse with one another rather than be focused on their phones.

But it's not like he'd ever take his eye off of her.

Charles laughed nervously. "I'll do that when we get to the hotel."

"You know I can pay for myself, right?"

"I know, but I'm a gentleman."

Nat smiled and looked down at her lap, playing with the rings on her fingers.