𝟢𝟢𝟦. broken egos.

CHAPTER FOUR,
broken egos.

18 APRIL 2021,
italy.

PEOPLE HAVE ASKED her many times what she did before a race and she'd say, "I watch a few old races from (whatever track she'd be racing in) and talk with my strategist. I warm up, do a few reflex exercises..."

In truth, she rather watched 'What We Do In The Shadows'. Yeah, she sometimes watches old races, but that's only when she knows she'll struggle in a certain corner or race.

But here in the Imola Grand Prix she knew she wouldn't struggle.

Nat looked up from her phone when she heard a knock at her door. Charles stepped through. "Are you watching that vampire show?"

"Yeah!" Nat said enthusiastically. "I haven't had any time to watch the second season, so I'm rewatching the show."

He laughed and shook his head. "I don't understand your obsession for that show."

"You don't understand because you've never watched it."

Charles shrugged. "I'm not into vampires."

"Wait until you meet Nadja." She winked and walked past him. The race was starting in an hour and she needed to warm up. "I'd say you'd like it, you give me such Lazslo vibes, honestly."

"What do you mean?"

"You're gonna have to watch the show, Charlie, to understand." Nat said, turning around to pat his chest. "I have to get warmed up! Bye!" Laughing, Nat ran towards her garage while he stood there, staring at her.

Nearly an hour later, everyone was in their cars, waiting for the countdown.

Nat was starting at P10 while Charles was at P4.

While she waited for lights out, she hummed along to the song stuck in her head. Nat was trying to rid the anxiety that squeezed her heart.

She closed her eyes. Focus. Breathe in. Breathe out. Her eyes snapped open.

And it was lights out.

"Russell and Bottas are out."

32 laps of absolute chaos, where a driver spun out every other lap, crashed into walls or into one another. Nat had lost but effectively gained a few positions.

She was currently behind Perez, with Charles, Lando and Max in front of him.

"Red flag, a safety car has been called." 

Nat wouldn't be surprised if George was cussing out Bottas for a clash he'd caused. George wasn't good at accepting he was at blame, sometimes.

Nat clicked the radio on. "Are they alright?"

"Yeah, nothing broken, only egos and really expensive cars."

"Hah!" Nat laughed. "Did Russell turn into Bottas?"

"You'd be right."

"I'm always right, Tony."

"Red flag has been called off." 

"Copy." She turned off her radio and focused back on the race.

Perez was talented and obviously had the better machinery, but he was cocky.

So she wouldn't be sorry if she 'accidentally' crashed into the side of his car and caused him to run into the wall.

But the FIA would be on her ass and she doesn't have the patience for that right now.