Chapter 10

I heard Jackie getting up early in the morning, but since I had the bare minimum of sleep, I didn't even bother to bat an eye.

Soon, the house got so lively that it was impossible to sleep in. Eventually, I decided to get up to grab some food. Before I went down, I remembered my headache, so I put on some nice sunglasses and a hoodie so I could pull it over half of my face. No one would ever like to see me looking like Godzilla, and I refuse to believe I look good; it wouldn't be possible with only four hours of sleep.

Oh, but last night...

As I realized that my thoughts started slipping away from my reach, I stopped smiling... well, fangirl swooning, and finally got my tired ass downstairs.

I just arrived in the kitchen when I noticed the awkward but also very intriguing tension in there. Huh? I bet it's Alex and Cole, once again tearing Jackie into two pieces for their own ego.

Katherine rushed towards Jackie, "Parker, be careful!"

The little girl defended herself, "It was an accident."

"Oh god, I'm so sorry."

Jackie had the same old expression on her face, but due to my hoodie, I wasn't really able to see her full face.

In an upset voice, she said, "It's okay."

Just then, someone finally acknowledged me. I don't know if that's good or bad.

"What are you wearing? You do know that today's not Halloween, right?" Blondie said.

Katherine stepped in as I just sighed and grabbed my cereal, "She's staying at home today because she's sick; be nice Cole."

Cole put on an annoyed expression, "Why is everyone allowed to skip school today? It's not like I was ever allowed to."

Katherine interrupted his self-pity, "Well, they are sick. Now, everybody be outside in 15 minutes. We have to go."

While I was staring down into my cereal bowl, I heard the boys walking out in silence.

Katherine turned to face Jackie, "Sweetie, I just... I feel terrible."

In a teary voice, Jackie said as dramatic as ever, "It's fine."

What happened? Did Cole finally punch Alex in the face? Or did Alex find out about Cole and Jackie crushing on each other? Maybe Alex asked Cole to duel, just like in Bridgerton. Lucy loved Bridgerton.

I can already imagine Jackie in a ball gown, elegantly riding a horse while trying to stop the stud muffin and this small chicken nugget from killing each other.

I would watch it. And I would cheer for the horses to kick those two roosters off.

.. but honestly, I'd bet on Cole.

As I went to the sink, my heart dropped down the drain. In the sink was the birthday teapot Jackie gifted Lucy some years ago; it was their tradition. Now I get it. This isn't about the love triangle; this is about Lucy.

I felt bad for not talking to Jackie yet. We used to be so close; I miss it. But everything changed.

"I got it." Blondie suddenly spawned next to me.