Chapter 7 ~ The First Punch

Trigger Warning
⚠️⚠️⚠️
Violence
Adult Language

I sit at the desk with my feet up reading a book that Lily suggested. I feel myself getting invested in the story and let it draw me in. The world around me fades away as I read about the characters and the way their lives intermingle.

WHAM

I jump and my book hits the floor. I stare at it for a second before slowly looking up at the offender.

She's in her thirties and has a very 'Karen' look about her. Her perfectly manicured nails and perfectly laundered clothing screams of a life of luxury and privilege.

I must look unbelievably pissed because the moment my eyes fall on her she steps back with a look of fear plastered on her face, her makeup crinkles from the expression before she she can get herself together.

"I have been trying to get your attention for at least fifteen minutes, I refuse to wait for you to decide to do your job." Her voice comes out shrill and grating. My lip curls. I hear a voice behind me.

"Oh shit." Sharkie's voice betrays their excitement and I can tell their wincing. A chorus of chuckles follows.

"Excuse you. I was in the middle of something. I'm sure you learned the golden rule in kindergarten." I growl at her. She crosses her arms over her chest in defiance but her face gives away the fact that she peed herself a little.

"Do you know who I am?!" Her shrill voice stabs my eardrums and my lip curls again. I slowly stand and stare her down. I have a solid foot on her in height and she shrinks back. I look down at her file, a binder really, and hold it up glaring at her all the while.

"Do you want me to read this and get even more pissed or do you want just go to your level?" I offer her the choice with a note of fury in my voice. She scoffs and flips her hair. Its clear she's used to getting her way.

"It doesn't matter what it says it's all a lie." She snarls at me in a way that's supposed to make me shrink away. A year ago I might have. Now I've had time to work on my issues I feel less fear and more fury. "I'm very important and I can get you fired. It's obvious you don't know who I am but I will have your job you ignorant little shit." I glare at her and she flinches.

I flip the file open to the first page.

"Go ahead, read it. It's all a work of fiction." She sneers at me. I glance down at the page, allowing my finger to rest on it, and my blood starts to boil.

"Level 9, for on top of being a massive bitch-"

"DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO ME THAT WAY!" She screeches like an angry banshee and in a flash I drop the file, grab the front of her shirt and slam my fist into her mouth.

"Shut the fuck up." I growl. She opens her mouth to protest and I slam my fist into her nose. "Open your mouth again and you'll lose your fucking teeth."

She looks up at me with a fear that fills my chest with pride.

"Not only did you treat everyone around you with the kind of disrespect that caused multiple people to end their own lives but you killed people with your own hands. You enjoyed taking away what little happiness and peace the people around you had managed to scrape together and you killed your children so you could get more money." I punch her repeatedly and throw her to the ground before hopping over the desk to stand over her.

"STOP! HELP ME!" She screams and looks to the others behind the desk but I already know what they're doing. I can hear a knife being sharpened behind me.