Chapter Forty-Two

Aerylin greeted us with a warm, big smile—her eyes briefly flickering to Narvi, taking note of the state he was currently in.

"Drakell, Alaban...what can I help you with? Judging by the look on this one's face," she glanced to Narvi again, eyes flickering with amusement, "I'm assuming he is in need of my special hangover breakfast?" Her gaze then trailed to Alaban, who patted Narvi on the back and nodded.

"Oh yes indeed, sister. You see, last night was Narvi's first time partaking in alcohol...and he is now learning what comes with drinking a little too much. You often took care of me when I had my hangovers, and so I figured you would be the best person to help him."

Aerylin placed her hands on her hips with a chuckle, before she walked forward and wrapped an arm around Narvi's shoulders. "In that case, you come with me little one and I will get you fixed right up. Are you allergic to anything?"

Narvi blinked, seemingly bewildered and unsure by the question. This prompted me to step forward, catching the moon dragon's attention. "Is there any foods that hurt your stomach? Anything that makes you feel...ucky? Not good? Sick?"

Narvi blinked again and averted his gaze, seemingly deep in thought before he looked up and shook his head. "No?" He then nibbled at his bottom lip, his brows pinched and his gaze adverted. "Nuts? My throat get small. Painful."

My brows raised. "Oh, so a nut allergy?" My attention turned to Aerylin. "So I guess whatever you make, don't include any kind of nuts."

Aerylin nodded. "Alright. I know just what I can make that will make you feel better." She turned...but paused when she saw the small smile on Alaban's face, her brow arching. "You seem rather...happy."

Alaban immediately pursed his lips and crossed his arms over his chest, shrugging as he did so. "I'm just in a good mood. I don't see it as a particularly bad thing."

Aerilyn snorted, and her gaze fell on me before her eyes widened and a look of "oh ok" crossed her dark face. "I can see why. Congratulations, brother! Good on you for getting out there and finding you a man, I feel like a proud momma."

Alaban snorted. "Aerylin, I am older than you. By four years."

"So? If you can be this elated over being laid, surely I can be happy that my brother is finally finding his own future."

My cheeks instantly turned red as embarrassment flooded through me, my gaze snapping to Alaban as the sun dragon opened his mouth to no doubt give a smart retort. However, when he saw my blushing state, he cleared his throat and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "We will talk later, Aerylin. In the meantime, you should probably get Narvi that breakfast."

Aerylin spared an amused glance towards me, before she turned towards Alaban and winked. "Of course, Al. And just so you're aware...no sex in my tent, kay?" And with that she and Narvi were off, leaving Alaban and I in awkward silence.

I, however, couldn't explain just how Aerylin knew of Alaban and I, and I was absolutely embarrassed that she could even tell just by a mere glance. Did she use magic? Was there something on my face? Or...

My hand darted to my exposed neck, and finally Alaban let out a chuckle before he made his way over to me, fingers gently grazing over the sensitive flesh.

"I'm sorry, I forgot I left quite a few...love bites on you. I forgot they show up incredibly dark on pale skin." His hand trailed from my neck, up to my cheek. "Forgive me?"

I huffed and leaned further into his hand, causing him to cradle my face. "No need to apologize...this is certainly not the first time I've been caught donning hickies."

Alaban laughed, his amber eyes twinkling, and he leaned forward to give me a sweet, soft kiss on my lips. My eyes fell shut, and I found myself leaning in and placing a hand on his waist. When we pulled apart, my lips were faintly moist, and Alaban used his thumb to gently brush away the moisture from my bottom lip. "You know...I have my own tent. Perhaps we should...break it in?"

I snorted, my cheeks pinkening. "Are you propositioning me, Alaban? So early in the morning?"

I gasped when Alaban grabbed me by the waist and pulled me to him, a mischievous smile on his lips. "Why not? It's hard to resist you, now that I know you love me."

I nibbled at my bottom lip, thoroughly enticed by the offer of rolling around in bliss...however, I did want to make sure Narvi was alright—after all, I knew how bad one's first hangover could be—and I had no doubt—since he hadn't done so yesterday—that Evander was going to search for me so that we could have our little...chat. And I definitely would prefer that he didn't find me whilst entangled with Alaban.

So, I reluctantly pulled away from him, but not before giving him a quick kiss on his dark cheek. "Perhaps later? I want to make sure Narvi is ok, and I don't want Evander to walk on us in the middle of our...tryst."

Alaban snorted, but thankfully didn't seem at all upset as he nodded and kissed me again. "Later then." He then lifted up the tent flap and looked at me, amber eyes bright. "You know, I wouldn't mind getting food that has a little more...meat to it. Don't get me wrong, oatmeal is good...I just need something a little more filling. What about you? Are you still hungry? I could have Aerylin whip up something else for us."

I nodded and followed him outside of the tent, squinting at the sunlight before I became accustomed to it. "I wouldn't mind something more filling. Got any recommendations?"

Alaban wrapped his arm around my shoulders and walked with me—garnering quite a few stares from the early risers as we passed them. "Well, I would say sausages, but I don't think we currently have any at the moment. We do have some rabbit that Aerylin can season and cook up."

"Rabbit sounds good," I agreed, my gaze snapping to Narvi and Aerilyn across the way. And who else was there but Evander, who smiled and said something to his fiancée, before turning to say something to Narvi.

That strange feeling once again twisted my gut—that sense of unease and something else I couldn't quite pinpoint. Why was I so weary about the guy? He had been accommodating to Narvi and I, gave us a place to stay, and even allowed us to eat their food. Why did he have such an off vibe to me?

I didn't understand it...but I was going to figure out, even if it was just to put my mind at ease. Because, who knows, the events from the days' prior could have made me overly paranoid, and could you blame me? I was thrust into a world beyond their own, killed, revived somehow, and now I was amongst possibly the strongest people on Tyndarus. Surely it was normal to feel this way, right?

I just hoped paranoia was all this was.

A/N: Annnnd here's the next chapter!!! Not much really happens in this one, but I still hope you all enjoy it!