Chapter Thirteen

I lost count on how many drinks I had. One turned into two, then ten...then I lost count after that, and now I was beyond inebriated. Like so drunk the world swirled even when I was standing still. My cheeks were burning, my eyes were slightly watering, but I was pretty much content.

Of course, at some point, Lumerian had tried to corner me, but I somehow managed to evade him every time. Which I felt bad for, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with him at the moment, so avoid him I did. Then Cayden and Davian began to approach me, and I guess I just wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone really, so I turned tail and left the ballroom altogether.

Well, I say left, but it was more like I stumbled away. I wasn't lying when I said the world was swirling around, although I was quite proud of myself for not falling flat on my face.

"Drakell? Are you alright?"

Well. Crap.

Blinking slowly, I whirled around, catching myself on the wall before I fell.

I nodded—though it probably looked more like I was wildly flopping my head around. "I am so...peachy an' stuff."

Davian blinked before he laughed and shook his head. "Ok, wow, you're really drunk."

"What? Nuh huh. I am not...drunk. I-I don't even drink. Never ever."

Davian snorted. "How many glasses of wine have you had?" He wondered, placing a small hand on my arm.

I looked down at his hand—so pale and tiny—and blinked as I tried to recall what he had asked me.

Oh right. How many drinks did I have?

"Um...I dunno. A little bit...or a lot a bit." I frowned and slowly dropped down the wall as my legs went...jello-y. Davian jumped and attempted to keep me standing, but I was much too heavy for him, so he basically guided me until I was sitting on the floor. "You're not mad at me, r-right?" I wondered as I flopped my head back to look at him.

Davian frowned and knelt down by me. "Mad? Why would I be mad at you?"

I leaned my head back, wincing when I unintentionally smacked the back of my head against the wall.

"You had a bad life 'cause of me. I-I was super stupid, an' you paid the price for it." I sighed dramatically and peered up at the gilded ceiling. "I'm a horrible brother."

Davian immediately shook his head and turned my face towards him so that I could see the determined look in his ruby eyes. "You are a wonderful brother, Drakell. None of what happened was your fault, do you understand me?"

I blinked. "Okie dokie."

My response made a smile come back across Davian's face, and in that moment, I felt a little less like a crappy brother.

Davian stood up and wiped his hands on the front of his dress. "We need to get you to your room so you can sleep this off."

"Bed sounds nice," I muttered, before attempting to stand up.

Davian tried to help me the best he could, but he ended up having to enlist Cayden's help, and when the prince saw me, he raised his brows and chuckled.

"Wow, you are really just...." He turned to Davian, "he is wasted."

Davian wrung his hands together and placed a hand on Cayden's forearm. "That's why I need your help getting him to bed. He's a little heavy for me."

I snorted and flopped on my side. "But you used fancy magic to save me...a super long time ago. Or was it a short time ago? Time is wibbly wobbly."

Cayden chuckled and began to help me up—wrapping my arm around his shoulder and his arm around my waist.