Chapter Thirty-Three

Sweat dripped heavily down my brow as my feet slammed into the ground below me, propelling me forward as the creatures screeched, before lowering themselves and darting forward. They were...terrifyingly quick, and one of them managed to quickly get into range with me as it swiped at me with long, sharp claws. It's right managed to snag me in the arm, and as pain pierced through me, I somehow managed to dodge out of the way as it's other claw came towards me—managing to deflect it with my sword.

The second one darted straight towards Narvi, and I could hear creature 2 snap in irritation as he missed the—surprisingly—dexterous Narvi, who managed to duck and slink back. Growling in frustration, creature two darted to the other side of the moon dragon, and before the albino could react, managed to swipe him in the side, causing a pained yelp to come out of him.

Growling myself, I tried to steel my nerves—mentally trying to tell myself that this was a regular battle with regular, normal things, totally not terrifying in the least. I repeated that in my head as I charged at the creature in front of me, my first swing nicking it's collar bone, before it ducked under my second swing, snarling in my direction.

Narvi thrust out his hand towards the creature that just hit him, his eyes filled with anger as his first swing barely missed creature 2's face. But he didn't let that stop him and swung again, this time jamming his fingers hard, just under its ribs.

"Drakell, Narvi, move!" Alaban yelled. And when I glanced at him, my eyes widened at the subtle glow that sparked between his hands. First it appeared as a small bead, before it rapidly grew larger and larger, and without much thought, I snatched Narvi's upper arm and jumped out of the way as Alaban released this mind-boggling spell of his.

At first, things seemed to slow down and nearly fell silent, before there was an earth shattering boom that encapsulated a bulk of the creatures, causing them to screech in agony as amber fire licked at their flesh. "We need to find a safe place!" Alaban yelled, the panic clear in his eyes.

Nodding, I spared Narvi a heated glance and continued running, my heart loud in my ears. Creature 1 was growling, it's skin slowly peeling back to reveal black fleshy bits that had gross hints of pink tissue. It looked incredibly angry, and it locked it's beady eyes on Alaban before it screamed and darted towards him, swinging it's large claws towards him.

Yelping, Alaban slipped on his feet, which gave him the momentum to miss creature 1's first strike. However, once he caught his balance, the creature's other hand barely grazed Alaban's cheek, causing a thin line of blood to begin spilling from the light slices in his cheek.

Creature 2 was locked on to Narvi, but no matter how many times it barreled towards him, swinging wildly, Narvi—in full fight or flight mode—ducked and dodged each of its attempts, no doubt angering it further.

I was so worried about the others, I failed to notice a third creature creep up behind me. Only when I felt a piercing pain in the back of my neck, did I realize one was biting me—its jaw locked on the back of my throat, as a deep growl rumbled deep in the back of its throat.

Creature 4, upon hearing the frustrated growls and hisses of its mate, it came rushing at Narvi. Sensing an approaching presence, Narvi grabbed creature 2 in front of him, and slid under its long, spindly legs, causing creature 4 to grasp at air with its jagged teeth.

Another creature, a fifth one, thrust its claws towards me, and despite the fear that ate away at me, my years of honing my body into a weapon stuck with me, and I managed to turn and deflect its attack with the flat side of my sword. Though, one of its claws managed to nick me in the pinkie, causing more pain to flair up within me. This was bad. This was incredibly bad, and we were going to need a miracle to get us out of this.