Chapter Forty-Seven

Being free from princely duties was everything I could have ever dreamed of. No politics. No more being coerced into marrying other royalty, all because I should "already be married at my age". No more worrying about a title I never asked for. It was so nice being addressed as Drakell the man, not Drakell the prince. It was clarifying to me, living a life so simple. This was who I had been meant to be.

Hell, I was the happiest I think I had ever been in my life. Or, well, after finding Davian, of course. That one still trumped anything else.

But for four months life was just...it was great. The sun dragon village was now starting to look like an actual village, as there were now log houses in place of thrown together tents. With the help of magic, and the nature around them, they managed to make quite the cozy place to live. I even had a small house by the lake—shared alongside Alaban and Narvi. Not to mention Narvi was well versed in draconic as well, as he was such a fast learner—which made things a hell of a lot easier for me, as I wasn't exactly the best teacher out there.

It was just...gods I was so happy.

And cozy, in the current moment as Narvi and I sat in front of our small fireplace—with Narvi braiding my hair, which had grown over these four months. It was cold outside, colder than it had ever gotten on Iltharan. Snow even littered the ground outside, and thus it was only natural to be huddled up in front of the warm flames.

Alaban however, was currently on one of the chairs he had carved himself, weaving a basket in content silence as we all basked in the warmth the fireplace granted us.

"All done," Narvi spoke, breaking the silence as he leaned back from me, looking proudly at his work.

I lifted my hand and felt for the braid, feeling the few small ones he had made with a small smile on my face before I turned to face him. "Thank you, I'm sure they look wonderful."

"Oh, they do," Alaban spoke up, causing Narvi and I to peek at him. "Gives your hair a bit of...character."

I snorted and raised a brow. "My hair doesn't have character? Have you seen it? It always looks like a toddler got a hold of a brush and went wild. And that's on the good days."

Alaban chuckled and sat his current project to the side. "All I'm saying is that you look good with braids. Really good."

I couldn't help but feel the way my cheeks began burning, and I immediately lowered my gaze. "Oh...ah...thanks."

"Always." I then looked at him when I heard the chair move, and watched him as he headed towards the fireplace. He grabbed the small, metal pot we acquired a few weeks back and shot a curious glance towards Narvi and I. "Would either of you like some tea? Ellan brought back some willow bark tea I'd like to try."

I immediately nodded once something warm to drink was presented and pulled the blanket I had around me even tighter. "I would love some. I swear it's almost like...unnaturally cold out there. Iltharan is a volcanic continent, why is there snow?"

Alaban shrugged. "You're right, it is strangely cold. Perhaps the climate is changing? It's not uncommon for strange things to happen to the weather. I recall that somewhere on Ishemelle got fish raining from the sky."

My brows darted up in bewilderment. "Fish...raining from the sky? That sounds like something out of a fairy tale."

Alaban pursed his lips and shrugged once again before wrapping his hair up into a bun—no doubt to keep it out of his face as he worked. "I think they said it was caused by...I don't know, some strange scientific reasoning that I can't even begin to understand. You know how elves are."

"You've met how many of them?"

Alaban glanced at me. "Just the one, but at the same time, did he not give the vibe that he is one of them "know it alls"?"

I thought back to Lumerian...then nodded my head. "Actually yes, you're right. He did kind of give off that snooty vibe."

Alaban snorted and gathered some water for the tea. "I still to this day don't know why I didn't turn him into a rat—as that is the perfect representation to who he is." He hooked the small pot by the fire to heat it up before glancing at me. "I'm glad I was the one to earn your love, and not him."

I blushed and averted my gaze, a warmth that was not the fireplace spreading through my chest. A warmth that I craved and cherished. One that I was happily getting used to. "You're such a charmer, Alaban."

Alaban grinned—and gods did he look stunning with the firelight giving him that warm glow. "It's cute that you think I'm charming."

My blush darkened so much that it was almost painful. "Ok fine I take it back, you're absolutely terrible."

Alaban laughed loudly at that, his expression warm and inviting as that gorgeous amber gaze flickered over to the moon dragon by my side. "Narvi, would you like some tea as well?"

Narvi looked over to him, his hair falling over his shoulders as he nodded his head. "I would love some, thank you Alaban."

Alaban nodded, and I could only feel pride as I glanced towards Narvi—his draconic leagues above what it had been when we met.

His draconic was so good now, and it made me so proud to know that he got to this point because I taught him. Well, Alaban also taught him some, but it had mostly been me.

Though, I probably wouldn't tell Alaban that...unless he continued to be a brat. Teasing me like that. But gods I did love him, so I guess we were even.

I chuckled softly to myself, though it caught Narvi's attention, causing him to glance at me with pale, raised brows. I pursed my lips in amusement and leaned closer to him, lowering my voice so that Alaban wouldn't hear.

"I was thinking that he was a brat." I told him, causing the moon dragon to snort in amusement.

"I think that's his mating call."

My brows furrowed and I glanced at him bewildered. "Mating call?"

Narvi leaned his head on his knees, seemingly comfortable as he continued. "Animals have...different ways to attract those they wish to mate with."

When I blinked in even more confusion, Narvi shrugged.

"I liked to watch animals."

I blinked slowly again and nodded my head. "O-Oh..."

"You say Alaban is a brat, yes? Perhaps that is his version of a mating dance. He may be trying to get your attention."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Alaban apparently heard that last bit and spoke before I had a chance to. "Who's trying to get who's attention?"

Narvi and I shared amused glances with one another, before I turned to Alaban. "No one. Is the tea done?"

Alaban raised a brow, seemingly suspicious of Narvi and my reaction. However he let it go and handed Narvi and I both a cup of steaming hot...

"What kind of tea is this again?" I asked, blowing on it to cool it down.

Alaban poured himself a cup and sat down next to me—scooting close for additional warmth. "Willow bark tea. Ellan says it has a nice taste to it."

I nodded and smiled to myself in content. I was happy. Oh, so very happy. And while I missed my family...this normalcy was exactly everything I ever wanted.

A/N: Dawwww, such a cute and warm chapter for yall to enjoyyyyyy!