Chapter Twenty-Seven

This so called "plan" of ours was...well, let's just say we probably should have put more thought behind it. For one, it hadn't even been that long since we first ran into them. Secondly, even though the rain poured from the sky as if the gods were angry at their children, it was still light enough that-were we not careful-they would be able to see us easily and do gods' know what to us. Honestly, I've no idea why I even agreed to this in the first place. Maybe it had been the look of determination on Alaban's face that swayed me. Maybe it was something else in play.

Either way, we had to be vigilant if we were going to get out of this unscathed.

I looked to the man in question, his expression tight, yet determined as we silently moved through the forest, trying desperately to keep quiet. Thankfully, the rain masked our steps, however that didn't stop the weary feeling bubbling in my gut. The only form of defense we had was my sword, and maybe Alaban's magic-if he were willing to expose it to them. Then again, he might have when he whisked us away. Sure, we had been in the trees when he did so, but there was no doubt they saw that flash of light Alaban's magic seemed to emit every time he cast a spell.

I tore my gaze from him as the third individual in our party placed a hand on my back, Narvi's gaze concerned as he glanced down to my injured leg.

And that was reason three why this was a bad idea.

I was injured. Thankfully not bad enough to completely hinder me, but enough that I felt that sharp pain shoot up and down my leg every time I took a step. I was a competent fighter on most days, but I honestly had no idea how badly my injury would hinder me, were we to get into a fight. I mean sure, Alaban had his magic, but there were way more of them than there were us, not to mention they had those strange metallic weapons we knew nothing about.

I mentally shook my head, pulling myself out of my head long enough to give Narvi a silent nod of encouragement. He didn't look all that convinced though, and merely frowned as I turned my attention to our sun dragon companion. He had halted and was now partially behind a tree as he placed a long, dark finger against his lips-signaling that we had arrived.

Heart racing in my chest, I could hear the chit chat of the group of bandits-some exclaiming about their finds happily. Others chatting amongst one another about our "cowardly escape".

I peeked around the tree I was hidden behind, and through the brush giving us cover, watched as the bandits rummaged through our bags.

Now what?

The bandits were clearly still taking our stuff, which no doubt meant anything we would need to grab would be on their person, or in their possessions. How were we going to get our stuff back without a fight? What was Alaban's plan, exactly?

I glanced back over to the man in question. I could see those amber eyes turning as if the man behind them were thinking of a plan of action. I guessed he sensed me staring at him, because those amber eyes flickered over to me for a moment-seemingly reading my hesitant gaze before he just...vanished.

Literally.

One second the sun dragon was within my view...then I blinked, and he was straight up gone. Almost like there had been no trace of him in the first place. Even Narvi seemed surprised as his light gaze widened in shock.

I honestly forgot he could do that. Turn invisible like that. He had done it the night Lumerian came knocking on my bedroom door. But what was turning invisible really going to do? How was he going to steal back our stuff?

I was anxious, and even with the rain I could feel sweat beginning to bead on my forehead as I turned my attention to the bandit's camp, trying desperately to find where Alaban might have gone. And I wasn't even anxious for me, either. I was anxious for Alaban, because, what if they somehow found him and hurt him? What if they caught him unaware? What if he had no time to defend himself with his magic?

At this point in our journey, I honestly considered him a good friend, and it worried me to death that he could get hurt, even with his abilities.

I was so lost in my thoughts and worries that I nearly jumped when Narvi placed a cool hand against my back-rubbing in a circular motion as if he was trying to soothe me. I took a breath and gave him a small, thankful smile as I placed my hand over his. I was grateful for his attempts to soothe me. He had only been with us for what, a day? And he was considerate enough to make sure I felt ok. It was a sweet gesture from someone who didn't really know me.

Now, I did jump when one of the bandits barked out a loud laugh-causing my heart to begin racing once again. I took in a deep breath and attempted to calm myself down.

Come on, Alaban, where are you? I wondered to myself. Gods I hope you're ok. Gods, if he didn't do something to show me that he was ok soon, I was...hells, I was going to go out there and...I don't know, do something to force him to reveal himself. It was stupid, sure, but I needed reassurance he was ok, and all that was happening was Narvi and I getting drenched while watching these thieves enjoy our stuff.

However, be it a blessing by the gods', as soon as that thought crossed my mind, something...strange happened. One by one, the bandits began dropping like flies. They didn't look like they were dying, by any means, just...suddenly falling asleep? Was this another one of Alaban's spells?

As soon as his name popped in my mind and the last person fell soundly asleep on the ground, the sun dragon appeared-the man on his knees and looking a bit worse for wear. Worried beyond belief, I ran from my hiding spot and dropped by his side-the pain in my leg dulled in comparison to the worry I felt for the other man.

He was panting, eyes closed as if he were in pain and-to my distress-there was a thick line of blood pouring from one of his nostrils.

"Alaban? Alaban, what's wrong? What happened? Are you ok?" I bombarded him with questions, my worry no doubt on my face.

Alaban, without opening his eyes, gave me a pat on the back and nodded-the man trying to catch his breath. "I-I'm alright. I just...I never cast that spell on more than one person before...let alone an entire camp. It...took quiet a bit out of me." He then finally opened his eyes and turned that golden gaze towards me. "I'll be alright with some rest, I assure you."

He then blinked when Narvi approached him with a ripped piece of cloth, and he seemed surprised when the moon dragon knelt in front of him and gently dabbed the blood from his nose. When he was done, he scrunched his nose up at the messed-up cloth and tossed it to the side before he got up and wandered over to one of the sleeping bandits, poking them in the side with his foot.

"I'd advise against that," Alaban spoke as he stood up, nearly falling-had I not caught him.

Despite the man being thin, there was an exhausted weight to him, and he apologized and steadied himself on his own feet.

"We should get our stuff and get out of here. I-I'm not sure how long they will remain like this."

I frowned, still worried about the other man, but he was right. The sooner we got our stuff and left, the better off we would be. Because there was no telling what we would do, if the bandits woke back up while we were still there.

A/N: Apologies for the late update, I've had a lotttttt of stuff happening that had me stepping back from writing for a momentttttt. But, I'm back! And whoop, whoop, I bring to you, a chapter! And there be some shenanigans here lol

Anywhooooo, hope you enjoyed the chapter! Lemme know what you thinkkkkkkk!