Chapter XIX

Things were tense when Jasmine Medina returned to work at Firehouse 51.

After her sexual activities with Kelly Severide, after he cared for her before Chase Daniels barged in, Severide wouldn't even look at her.

Jasmine hadn't known that Chase would show up. Nor did she really want him there. She would've preferred to continue her activities with the Squad lieutenant. Chase had noticed something was wrong with the woman but chalked it up to her head injury. He had spent the night, lying in the same spot in her bed that Kelly had been in.

It didn't feel right. Jasmine almost considered sending the man home. But she thought that might be too rude. She wanted Kelly. But Kelly was no longer there.

She had only informed Boden that she would be returning to work that shift so when she walked in through the open bay doors onto the apparatus floor, Capp and Ferarris stood up to greet her.

"Medina, didn't think you'd be back so soon," Capp greeted her warmly, pulling her in for a gentle hug.

"Got too bored at home," she smiles as she greets Ferarris. Severide remained at his seat, carefully watching the interaction over the top of the car magazine that he had been trying to read.

"Lieutenant?" Capp says, almost urging the man to greet the candidate.

"Medina," Severide gives a short nod before focusing his eyes back on the magazine, not actually reading any of the words on the page.

Capp and Ferarris both gave the woman a confused look, which she shrugged off. She was not about to tell her coworkers that Chase had interrupted her giving Severide a handjob and that was why the lieutenant was ignoring her.

"Busy day?" she asks. The shift had only started about two hours ago. Boden insisted that she get one last check-up at the hospital before returning to work so she had spent the last three hours there.

"Haven't been called out yet," Ferarris answers as the two male firefighters return to their seats around the Squad table.

Jasmine nodded before bidding her goodbye for now, explaining she would go see the other firefighters and change.

She entered the common room to find the other firefighters and the paramedics.

It was Dawson and Shay who pulled her in for a hug first. The two paramedics engulfed the girl with such force that she would've tipped backward if it wasn't for Casey who had appeared behind the trio at the burst of excitement that had erupted from the common room. 

"Medina, good to see you," Casey says, clapping her on the shoulder before bringing her in for a hug after the paramedics released her. Mills also hugged the woman, whispering "it's great to have you back, no one else can cook in this goddamn firehouse, Jas". His words caused the other paramedic to smile, letting out a small laugh that felt like it shook her brain, causing the small headache to worsen.

It was Herrmann next after Mills. Jasmine thought she noticed tears brimming in his eyes before he pulled her into a tight hug.

"You had me so scared, kid, so scared," he whispers, his voice cracking slightly as he holds her tightly.

The woman felt instantly calmed with Herrmann around her. He showed her such fatherly love that she couldn't not feel comfortable around him.

"I'm alright," she smiles. "I shouldn't have wandered ahead, but I'm okay, Chris."

The man held her for a few more seconds before finally pulling away, gently cupping the woman's face. "I'm getting you a backpack leash." He laughed gently before wiping the tears from his eyes, acting as if the tears had never existed.

Once the other firefighters were greeted and Jasmine promised Mills that she would help make lunch, she headed to the locker room to change into her work clothes.

The locker room was empty when she walked in, allowing her to head to her locker easily, peeling off her t-shirt. She slipped on her dark blue Squad t-shirt that held the Squad medallion on the breast. As she began to peel off her leggings, the locker room door opened.

Chase Daniels was leaning against the line of lockers were Jasmine's locker was.

"Chase, hey," she smiles, folding her leggings and setting them in her locker before pulling her cargo pants from her duffle bag.

"Hey, Jas," the man responded, heading towards her and leaning against the locker next to her open one. "How's your head?" he reaches out and brushes a strand of hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear.

"It's okay," she smiles. "Small headache but Connor Rhodes said that it would be normal for the next couple of days." She pulled on her pants, buttoning and zipping them before pulling on her belt.

"You should have taken at least another day off, Jas," Chase said, briefly kissing her forehead. "Don't want you to overdo it."

"I'll be alright, Chase," the woman repeated, she felt as if she was being slightly short with the man, but she was still not over the fact that Kelly was mad at her.

"Are you sure you're alright, Jas?" Chase was now slightly surprised that the woman's tone had become so short with him.

Truck 81, Ambulance 61, garage fire. 1784 West Claremont Drive.

 "Good luck," Jasmine quietly replied, turning her back to the man.

Chase reached out to put a hand on Jasmine's shoulder to turn her around before deciding against it.

"Thanks," he muttered, turning around and exiting the locker room.

The woman's eyes fell shut as she heard the locker room door shut.

"Shit," she whispered. She hadn't meant to be so rude to the man, she just didn't feel right with Kelly being mad at her. She didn't feel right after doing sexual activities with Kelly and then kicking him out only for Chase to take his spot.

Jasmine decided that a cup of coffee would hopefully make her feel better. She headed for the door to the locker room, pulling it open as someone pushed it open.

"Sorry," she muttered before looking up and realizing that it had been Severide that she had practically run into. "Oh."

Kelly stared down at her for a moment, taking in her features. "Take some medication for your head." It was like he had been able to read it on her face that she had a headache.

Jasmine nodded and couldn't get anything else out before Kelly slid past her toward his locker.

She turned to follow him with her eyes before walking out the door. She wasn't really in the mood for whatever conversation they would be led into.

Definitely just a transition chapter. Sorry for it taking so long.