Chapter XV

Jasmine Medina soon learned how big of a mistake it was to have Chase Adams join Firehouse 51.

He and Kelly Severide didn't get along at all.

Well, Kelly Severide didn't like Chase. But Chase couldn't figure out exactly what he did to irritate the man.

Chase had tried talking to the man but Kelly would either stand up and walk away without sparing him a glance or ignore the firefighter.

And Jasmine was not up for the fight that would come between her and Kelly if she brought it up. It wasn't like she and Kelly were dating, so why was he jealous? They both agreed to just be friends, that their careers were more important than any relationship right now.

So why was Kelly the only thing on her mind when Chase showed up at her apartment between shifts and asked Jasmine on a date?

She accepted, a smile growing as Chase told her the plans and that he'd be back at eight o'clock that night. But as soon as Chase turned to leave and the door was shut, Jasmine's face fell. What would Kelly say if he found out? Would he find out? Chase and Jasmine would be the only two people to know. Would Chase say something?

And just like that, Jasmine was panicking.

Sure, she liked Kelly. But he was her lieutenant, there could be no relationship between them if Jasmine wanted to keep her job and if Kelly wanted to move up in the ranks. Chase was the new candidate and there was nothing against two candidates dating each other. 

Maybe that was why she accepted Chases' date request. She knew that, at some point in her life, she had feelings for the man. Maybe this was what she needed to get over Kelly, and rekindle the old flame with Chase.

When eight o'clock came around, Jasmine was dressed in one of the nicest dresses that she could find in her closet. It was dark red, hugged her sides, and stopped about mid-thigh. There was a see-through lace part between her breasts and a low back to it. She paired it with black heels, a black clutch, and silver jewelry. Her hair was put into a curled ponytail, and she did light make-up.

Chase knocked on the door at exactly eight o'clock that night. He was dressed in a nice black suit, no tie, the top few buttons of the white long-sleeve unbuttoned. His green eyes seemed to be shining tonight, his hair sat messily on the top of his head but it seemed to suit him.

"Hey, beautiful," the man smiled at the sight of her, causing a dark red blush to spread across her face.

"Hi," she smiles bashfully, accepting the light kiss that Chase left on her cheek. It was then that she noticed the flowers he had brought her. A dozen of pink roses with gypsophila and greenery added to the bouquet. "These are beautiful, thank you," Jasmine smiled yet again as Chase held the flowers out to her and she accepted them. "Come in, please."

Chase followed the woman into her apartment, shutting the door behind him as Jasmine searched in the pantry for a vase for the flowers.

"This is a really nice place," Chase comments, observing the apartment. It was tidy, she never really spent much time here unless she was sleeping or had a day off from the hospital.

"Thank you," her response was muffled since she was still digging through the pantry. She could see the vase, it was on the top shelf, but she couldn't reach it. She didn't understand how she had put it up there at some point if now she was struggling to reach it.

"Here," the man spoke, suddenly his voice right behind her. Then his chest was against her back, one hand on her waist to stabilize himself as the other one shot up on the other side of her head, grabbing the vase and bringing it closer to the woman. She grabbed it, turning around to thank the man before realizing that they were now chest-to-chest, one of his hands on her waist, the other coming up to settle on the other side of her waist.