Chapter 4: Cafe Talk

My eyes shot open as soon as I woke up. I get to hang out with Ritz today! I got off my bed and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I walked back out and grabbed my phone and texted Ritz. He answered almost instantly

Ritz

'So when and where do you
wanna hang out?'

'Maybe at the cafe next
to the videogame store?
And does 12 work with you?'

'That's perfect. See you then! :)'

':)'

Okay. The Cafe, 12 o'clock. I got two hours to get ready. I smiled to myself and walked out of my room and to the kitchen. I grab the ingredients to make cereal. "Hey, make me some." Velvet says as she leaves her room and sits on the couch. I grab an extra bowl and spoon and make our food. "Here." I say as I sit the bowl on the coffee table. I go around and sit next to her.

"I'm so excited for later." I say as I stuff my face with cereal. "What's happening later?" Velvet asks. "I'm hanging out with Ritz! Remember?" I say. "Right. Where? What time?" She asks. "A cafe, noon" I answer and she nods in response.

"You should probably go get ready, it's almost 11." She says. "Yeah," I say and stand up after finishing my cereal. I put my dishes in the sink and go back to my room where I grab all the things I need for a shower. 

An hour later

I pull up to the cafe parking lot and pull out my phone.

Ritz

'I'm here, are you here yet?'

'I'm insideee'

I smile and get out of my car and head inside. I see Ritz sitting at a booth so I walk over. "Good morning." I say sitting down across from him. "Morning." He responded quietly. I look around the cafe. This is kinda awkward.

"So, tell me about yourself. What are some things you like?" I asked. Ritz took a moment to think. "I really like Art, and singing, even though I'm really bad at it." He says and scratches his neck. "I doubt you're bad at anything." I say softly. He looks at me with his eyes and then out the window with a big smile. "You seem shy," I say. "Eh, kind of." He answers and looks back at me. "Anything else you wanna add?" I ask and hold my head up with my hand.

"I really like nature, and I love the beach. Well, I've never been there, but I've seen so many photos and movies with the ocean and I really want to see it all one day." He said and I just watched him as he talked and rambled on about the ocean and nature. One day, I'll take him to the beach.

"Sorry, that was a lot." He said and chuckled awkwardly. "That's okay. I loved hearing about your interests. You can talk more if you want." I say and his cheeks turned a little more pink than they were before. "No, I'm good. What are some things you like?" He asks me and I get excited. I love answering questions about me. "I really like singing and performing, and I love dancing. I don't really have any other hobbies." I say and laugh a little while pulling my legs up into the seat to sit crisscross. "Got anything else your willing to share?" He asks

I think for a second. "I personally think I'm childish and a little immature. I'm an adult yet I still love watching Disney, playing at parks, stuffed animals, and I also act like a fool most of the time." I say and giggle a bit. "That's all okay. I wouldn't say you're immature or childish though. Even though we're 18 doesn't mean we have to act like adults. Do you have ADHD?" He asks me. "Yeah?" I say. "Heh, I can tell."

"OMG, guys look! It's Veneer!" A few girls say loudly. Me and Ritz look over and they're coming towards us. "Can we get a photo with you? Please?" The girls ask politely. "Of course!" I say and make a peace sign with my fingers while they take the picture. "Thank you so much! And I love your outfit." One of the girls says and the rest agree. "Thank you! You guys are so sweet." I say and smile at them. They walk away.

Ritz laughed a bit, "what?" I asked. "Nothing." He says and looks at me with his gorgeous eyes. I feel my cheeks start to heat up and my stomach gets butterflies.

"Do you want any coffee? Or maybe a sweet treat or something? I'll pay." I say breaking the silence. "No, I'm good." He says and moves around in his seat. "Hey, do you wanna go to the park down the road?" Ritz asked. "Obviously!" I say and stand up and so does he. I grab his hand and pull him out of the cafe and down the street.

I could hear Ritz laughing behind me, his laughs sounded like music to my ears. "Why'd we have to run?" Ritz said out of breath but still laughing. "I love parks." I say and we both laugh.

The park had swings, slides, monkey bars and a few other things. I ran over to the swings and hopped on one. "Come swing with me Ritzy!"

Kid Ritz POV:

Ritzy. I love that.
My heart pounded and my head felt like it was spinning. My legs wobbled over to the swing that was next to Veneer. I swung low while he swung high. I like him when he's like this. I smiled to myself.

we swung for a couple more minutes then ended up playing on the playground and acting like two total idiots. I was genuinely having a lot of fun though.

A few hours later

It was now 6:30 and the sun was setting. We were walking on the side of the road just talking about anything and everything. He told me about his childhood and I told him about mine. I told him I liked guys, and he told me he did too. We've gotten really close in the past few hours. I wouldn't call us best friends just yet but we're definitely close.

"I've had a lot of fun today, probably the most fun I've had in a while. Thank you." I say and he looks over at me. "You don't have to thank me for anything. I'm just that awesome." He said and pretended to flip his 'hair' off his shoulder. I laughed a bit. "I've had a lot of fun too. We should hang out again sometime." Veneer says. "We should." I agree.

"You free again tomorrow?" He asks and I laugh and look at him. "No, and neither are you silly. We've got the Rage Dome show tomorrow." I say. "The what and the who now?" He said. "What do you mean? Tomorrow you and Velvet are performing at the Rage Dome. It's been planned for a few days now." I say confused. "Oh. One second please." He says, whips out his phone and turns around. The phone started ringing.

"Velvet!" I guess he called her. "Why didn't you tell me we were performing the Rage Dome show tomorrow?!" I laughed a little bit. "That's not an excuse Vel!" He said. "What songs are we even gonna perform?" He asked. "But we've barely-" she must have cut him off. What are they talking about? "Fine. Bye, I love you."

"Okay. This all would have been nice to know sooner." He said and laughed and so did I. A few seconds pass and I feel Veneer grab me and pull me in for a hug. His arms wrapped around my waist and he rested his head on my shoulder. I smile and hug him back. This feels nice. I can't remember the last time I had a hug.

A few minutes pass and I talk. "What's this for?" I ask and he pulls away but keeps his hands on my waist which for some reason gives me butterflies. "I'm just so happy!" He lets go of my waist. "You're the first friend I've ever had!!" He said sounding so excited. But him saying that almost broke my heart. He's almost 19 years old, and he's never had a friend before? No one but Velvet? Oh my god. I frowned. "You've never had friends before?" I ask. "Yeah, but I've always had Velvet by my side so I never really needed them." He said and did a little spin which made me giggle.

"Yeah but still." I say and cross my arms while watching him dance around like a fool. He stopped dancing and came closer to me. He burst out laughing.

"Damn Ritzy! You're so short!" Veneer said and put his hand above my head showing he was taller than me. "What?! Come on! You literally have platforms on! And with them you're only an inch or two taller than me!" I say. "Huh? What's that? I couldn't hear you from up here." He said. "Veneer, I'm gonna beat you the fuck up." I say and he leans closer to me.

"Try me."

1546 words