𝟬𝟬𝟳• 𝘙𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘨𝘦

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

The last of the ashes floated in the air toward the moonlight. Light gray clouds accompanied the night sky; it was beautiful.

A calloused handheld of the demons, Tanjiro's head dropped slightly, closing his eyes and saying a quick prayer. The last piece of the demon that was left stared at the young boy, his eyes vibrating, still in shock that he'd leave this earth and never walk it with a mortal body, but instead a fragment of what was and is left.

The blonde stood right beside him, leaning on the boy slightly; her legs were swollen, and she knew she had a concussion. The blood had dried up and became a thin layer on her palms, and she could finally see every bump and groove on her slightly calloused hands.

The demon's eyes watered, tears falling to the floor, and he closed his hand on the young boy gently. The face slowly disappeared along with the rest of the ashes, and Sayaka felt guilt. Demons were once humans, some willing to turn while others hated the idea.

Tanjiro felt the same guilt; not only was it his sister who became a demon, but they weren't always the blood-hungry villains. That's why he always said a prayer that they would finally get the rest they deserved and a better afterlife.

He looked up slowly, his mind bringing himself back to the lost lives the demon had devoured. He felt empty almost; they were all young and had lives ahead of them to grow up, raising children and watching them grow old.

'You can rest now..."

He turned to the blonde, taking a few steps toward her, his eyes glazing across her face before locking eyes.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry I didn't help you right away." He asked, his eyes laced with guilt and frustration.

"I should be asking you that question." She joked, brushing her fly-aways out of her face.

He smiled, chuckling lightly. He could see more of her facial features up close now. She had a small scar right below her left eye. Tiny freckles scattered along the bridge of her nose like something ran its finger along a paintbrush, creating small dots.

Snapping out of his trance, he turned around, checking the surroundings and looking for any other challengers. He picked up no scent of a demon, and he slid down along a nearby tree stump. He tilted his head up slightly, closing his maroon-colored eyes. He was exhausted, parched, and wishing to come home to Nezuko and Urokodaki.

His mind replayed the events from before and what the demon had said to him. Part of him still didn't fully comprehend all of it. If the two were dead, then how could he see them?

"Tanjiro." A velvet voice spoke, and the blonde limped a bit closer to the boy; she felt guilty for ruining the peaceful moment he was in. To her, he looked relaxed; it suited his face better.

He hummed, opening his eyes slowly, blurred, only making out a figure in front of him, the blonde hair and her smooth voice. Sayaka Hikaru.

"You can rest for a bit; I'll watch for any other demons in the vicinity." She explained, leaning down toward the young boy.

His face twisted into guilt; he didn't want to seem weak. He wanted to be strong and protect those around him. Instead, here he was lying down on the floor, begging for some shuteye. Slowly moving his legs underneath him, he hauled himself up.