Chapter 21: the morning after

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—
I slowly open my eyes and turn around when I get blinded by the sun. I expect to see Joe but his side of the bed is empty making my stomach sink, "Morning," he says from the door with his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth. I sit up and cover myself with the sheet as a smirk rests on his lips.

"Morning," I whisper with a raspy voice. He goes back into the bathroom and comes back out a little while later. I got dressed at that time and I didn't realize I picked up his shirt until he looked down at it. It's so awkward. I have no idea what to say.

"Last night's picture is trending on Twitter," he says making me pull out my phone. When I look at the picture again I can feel my cheeks heat up. My legs are wrapped around him as his hand holds my waist. It's definitely the most provocative picture we have posted, "I ordered breakfast," he says making me look up at him, "Unless you have somewhere to be," he states.

"Breakfast sounds good. I'm just gonna clean myself up a bit," I tell him slowly walking to the bathroom. He walks out of his room and leaves me alone as I shut the door. I look in the mirror and see a purpleish red mark on my neck making me widen my eyes. My hair is flying all over the place and my mascara is under my eyes. It takes me nearly fifteen minutes to fix this mess before I go back outside. Joe is sitting at the table with breakfast sandwiches and juice.

"I didn't know what you liked so I just got this," he says as I nod my head after taking a bite.

"You can never go wrong with a breakfast sandwich. I fully believe that bagels are the best food to exist," I tell him.

"You have got to try one from New Jersey then," he says telling me a story about a time Nick, Kevin, and he walked three miles in the rain to get bagels. It's kind of crazy how easy the conversation is flowing. Somehow we ended up talking about our favorite candy when we were kids. I regret telling him the story of how I got a sour patch kid stuck in my nose.

"How does that even happen?" He laughs as I shake my head. After our laughter dies down the room becomes quiet. We both want to say something but we don't want to ruin anything.

"About last night," he says trailing off at the end. I bring the coffee cup to my lips as he does the same.

"I um...I broke up with Logan last night. Or...I don't really know if it's called a breakup if we never even dated," I ramble as he looks at me surprised. I want him to say something but the sound of footsteps makes us both turn to Nick standing at the opening of the kitchen.

"Well looks like you two had a good night," he says with an amused smile.

I stand up from my chair and look at Joe, "I should get going. I have some work to do," I tell him as he nods his head sipping his coffee, "nice to see you, Nick," I say patting his shoulder as I walk past him. When I get closer to the door I swear I can hear one of them slapping the other. As I wait for my Uber I look at my texts from Kara.

Kara: go bitch

Kara: oh damn the story

Kara: wait are y'all?

Kara: I'm taking your radio silence as a yes

Kara: I've never been more proud

Eva: morning

The Uber arrives nearly ten minutes later and that's how long it takes for Kara to respond. She immediately calls me as I sit down, "Please tell me Joe is as good in bed as he looks," she says making me laugh, "Seriously, what the hell happened?".

"I don't even know. It was one of those heat-of-the-moment things," I smile thinking about everything that happened last night.

She screams into the phone making me pull it away from my ear, "I'm assuming it went well 'cause it's almost noon and you're still not home," she says.

"He got me breakfast and we just sat and talked for a while. I'm on my way back now. Nick crashed our little party," I tell her.

"Of course he would," she says and I can almost hear her eye roll, "I can't believe he blocked you from a morning quickie," she teases.

"Absolutely not. I don't know last night was so intense and this morning he was sweet," I tell her as the Uber drops me off outside. I go to walk inside when I see a small group gathered at the door.

"THERE SHE IS," a girl yells running over. I widen my eyes and at least ten girls surround me blocking me from going inside. I can hear Kara saying something in my ear as my phone gets smacked to the ground, "Did you and Joe break up?".

"Were you the girl on his lap?"

"She's not even pretty enough for him"

"Look at her hair"

"Is that Joe's shirt?"

I gasp as I feel a nail scratch my cheek making the skin burn. I continue trying to push through them until I get to the door but they are blocking it, "What do you want?" I ask when I see Kara at the door.

"OH MY GOD IT'S JOE JONAS," she screams making all the girls look away. I push past them as I run to Kara. She slams the door shut so they can't get it. My heart is beating out of my chest as I look at her, "How did they find our address?" She asks.

"I don't know but this can't happen again," I say holding onto my head where a girl yanked on my hair.