Nozomi? A Love Song?!

And so, another week means another round of the Love Live!
Last week was certainly... interesting with the performance and Honoka and Hanayo's small but effective weight loss journey.

"All right, let me introduce the last group that made it into the final round of preliminaries: the school idols of Otonokizaka Academy, µ's!
One of these four groups will qualify for Love Live! Now, let's have each group show their enthusiasm! Starting with µ's!"
I took a long exhale and closed my eyes. Honoka would somehow fuck this up, I can tell.
"O-Okay. W-We've been working hard toward the ultimate goal of winning Love Live! So..."
Oh no, here it comes.
"We're definitely going to win!"
Yup, there it is. Honoka said something stupid again. To be honest, the blame is partly on me for not thinking this far and not preparing a speech of any kind, but regardless, she messed up.
I could see on Honoka's face that she just realised what she said, and how badly she messed up.
"A-Amazing! They've declared they're going to win, right off the bat!"
Most of the girls were either confused or annoyed at what Honoka just said, besides Nozomi, who had some sort of determined look in her eyes for some reason.

"How can you just declare we're going to win like that!" Nico was giving Honoka a piece of her mind.
"I got a little too excited..."
"But we are aiming to win, so it shouldn't be a problem." I decided to chime in.
Umi finally stopped glaring at Honoka and decided to join in the conversation, too.
"Right A-Rise also said that they think the last round of preliminaries will be as competitive as the finals."
True, that was a rather bold statement for anyone to make.

"Let's decide which song we'll be performing in the next round. We can only do one, so we should choose carefully." I changed the topic and started trying to make progress already. If there was an easy opportunity to get ready early, it was now.
"I think we should go with a new song," Nico suggested.
"Yeah! It'll be fun, nya!" Rin jumped up.
"That might give us an advantage since only new songs were allowed for the preliminaries." I was thinking hard about this.
"That doesn't sound like a very good reason to choose a song. And we don't know if it'll actually give us an advantage." Hanayo had some good points.
"And we know what happened last time we forced ourselves to try something new."
Flashbacks of last year filled my head and made me shudder. Never again.
Nozomi, who had previously been silent this whole time, spoke up.
"This is just an idea, but how about we sing a love song together?"
It's a random, yet nice idea if I do say so myself.

"I see! Love songs are a necessity for idol groups! There's at least one in their regular repertoire! But µ's has had none to this day!"
Hanayo spoke so fast I could barely tell what she said.
Honoka questioned the matter, though. "Why haven't we had any love songs to until now, though?"
"That's because..." Kotori trailed off.
All of us simultaneously looked at Umi.
"Wh-Why are you all looking at me like that?"
"You've never been in a relationship, have you?" Nozomi teased.
"How can you be so sure?" Umi certainly piqued my interest with that, but, judging how she herself confessed to me... yeah I don't think she has.
Umi and Kotori surrounded her.
"So you have?!"
"You have?!"
"Why are you getting on my case?"
I couldn't help but notice Nozomi and Eli looking at me of all people.
"You have?!" The first years along with Nico surrounded her too.
"Not all of you, too!"
"Umi-Chan, answer us!"
Honoka was basically yelling at this point.

"W-Well..." Umi sunk to the ground.
"I've never been in one."
For some reason, everyone looked relieved to hear that.
Honoka started patting Umi's back.
"Jeez, don't be so dramatic!"
"Why do I have to stand this?! You haven't been in one either, have you?!" Umi spun around, half-crying.
"Anyway, it's too late to make a new song." Maki instantly stopped the argument.
"I think it's too early to give up, though." Eli still wasn't backing down for some reason. Strange.
"Yeah. Having a strong mental picture and imagination is what matters in making a song."
Why were they being so persistent? Now my interest has been piqued.
"Well, I certainly haven't been writing lyrics from experience alone." Umi was level headed once again.
"But love songs are usually about romance, right? How do we get a mental picture of what that's like?"
"(Y/N) do you know? You must have had a girlfriend before, right?"