7 Pillars of Iman

As Muslims we should be focused on maintaining one relationship in particular; our relationship with Allah. Understanding the meaning of iman(faith) can help us to become better Muslims. Iman(faith) is directly correlated with our relationship with Allah. In order to attain a certain level of Iman we need to know and understand the definition of Iman.

Narrat by Umar Khattab (may Allah be leased with him).  The angel Jibril asked the Prophet Muhammad (saw) what is faith? The Prophet Muhammad (saw) replied, " Iman is belief in Allah, His Angels, His Messengers, the Unseen belief in His books, belief In the day of judgement, and belief in the good and bad of Qadar (Divine decree)." -Al-Bukhari, hadith: 50

The previous hadith addressed all seven articles of Iman(faith).

1. Belief in Allah

2. Belief in His Prophets

3. Belief in His Books

4.Belief in His Angels

5. Belief in the Unseen

6. Belief in the Resurrection

7. Belief in the Qadar

1. What does it mean to believe in Allah?

The Prophet (saw) said, " I order you to do four things: To believe in Allah alone. Do you know what is meant by believing in Allah alone? It means to testify that no one has right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad (saw) is Allah's messenger, to perform the prayers, to pay zakat, to fast during the month of Ramdan, and to pay Al-khumus'. 

This hadith suggests that believing in Allah includes implementing all of the obligations Allah has placed upon us. As well as believing in everything that He has sent down, which includes all of the other aspects of faith.

2. What does it mean to believe in Prophets of Allah?

Allah mentions the Prophets throughout the Quran, as well as their stories. In some Surahs the names of the prophets are mentioned. However there are some surahs in which Allah only relays their story. To believe in Allah's Prophets, is to believe that Allah chose who were the best citizens of their community, to guide and remind their people to remember Allah. Believing in Allah's prophets also means recognizing that Prophet Muhammad (saw), was the last of the Prophets.

3. What are Allah's books and what does it mean to believe in them?

To believe in Allah's books, is to believe that Allah sent down all the following holy books to his four Prophets. the Torah, The Psalms, The Gospel and The Quran. The Books of Prophet Daud (David) was that of the Psalms and the book of Prophet Musa (Moses) was that of the Torah which were sent to guide the jews from Allah. The Injil (Gospel) was revealed to Prophet Isa (jesus) to guide christian. The Holy Quran was revealed our last messenger Muhammad (pbuh).

In their history, there is a lesson for those who possess intelligence. This is not fabricated Hadith; this (Quran) confirms all previous the details of everything, and is a beacon and mercy for those who believe. {Quran 12;111}

Believing that Allah revealed these Books to His prophets, and following the commandments of the Quran, the inalterable and final guide, is what it means to believe in Allah's Books.

4. Who are Allah's Angels?

The Angels are the creation of Allah, created long before mankind. They worship Allah and obey him entirely. Allah mentions that the angels were present before our creation in surah Baqarah, verse: 30.

Angel Jibril (Gabriel), was sent to prophet Muhammad (saw), with the revelation of Allah. The two angels writing down our good and bad deeds, on our right and left shoulders are Raqib and Atid. The Angel of Death Ezrael, is the  angel that takes our souls when we die. on the Day of Resurrection Israfil is the Angel that will blow Trumpet, that starts the day of Judgement, after which all of the creation will perish. Allah mentions the Angels and their responsibilities in many surahs within the Quran. Therefore, as Muslims who believe in Allah, His prophets and His books, we must believe in His Angels as well.

5. What is the Unseen?

"WHO believes in the Ghayb (unseen), establish prayers and donate from what We have provided for them." {Surah Baqrah: 3}

The previous verse mentions belief in the unseen; this aspect of faith has various meanings; it includes belief in Allah, His Angels, Holy Book, Allah's Messengers, The day of Resurrection, and Al-Qadar. It also includes what Allah and His Messenger has informed us of. Which includes knowledge of the past, present and future, news about the creation of heavens and earth, planet and animal life, news of the nations f the past, and about Paradise and Hell.

All of the aspects of the faith maintain a connection that links them to one another, Believing in the Ghayb is to believe in Allah, believing in Allah relates to believing in everything Allah has commanded us to believe in. We are able to understand and enact these commandments, utilizing Allah's Book and His messenger Prophet Muhammad (saw).

6. What is Qadar (Divine Decree)?

The Quran also mentions the Decree of Allah, which is Al Qadar in Surah At-Taghabun, verse; 11, when Allah says,

"No calamity befalls except by the permission of Allah, and whoever believes in Allah, He guides his heart to the true Faith with certainty, i.e. what has befallen him was already written for him, and Allah is the all-knower of everything".

Believing in the Qadar(the divine decree) , is believing that Allah already knows what will happen in the future. Believing in the Day of Judgement, is an example of believing in the Divine Decree, because it is something that Allah has already ordained.

7. What is the Day of Resurrection?

The day of resurrection is the day when all mankind of kind, every person ever created will be gathered together and questioned about how they lived their life. On this day the earth shall be destroyed and everything on it will die, and all of creation will be brought back to life and questioned. There are many surahs in which the contents of that day are described. It also means that we believe that the life of this world is temporary and that we shall live again.

Therefore, one cannot believe in Allah and His books without believing the other components of faith, such as believing in His messengers, His Books, The Angels, the unseen, the Day of Resurrection, and belief in Al-Qadar (the divine decree) All of the components of faith originate from our belief in the oneness of Allah.

Maintaining our Iman and understanding it can help us better ourselves, so that we can become better Muslims.