[5] ʜᴇʟʟ

"You do know that if this marriage isn't where it needs to be, I will be staying here to supervise you, tesoro," Capo's thick and heavy voice spoke.

We have been sitting down in the living room for a solid hour filling out marriage forms and whatnot. 

I could feel Damien's gaze throwing imaginary daggers at my soul. So what? I leave the house and it's suddenly a crime? I know he has a lot to say but I guess he doesn't want his father staying with us as much as I do. 

"Miss Cikari-" The marriage counselor starts but gets rudely interrupted by Damien.

"-Mrs. Romano" 

A nervous laugh leaves her lips, "Not quite. The wedding hasn't been finalized yet,"

I awkwardly place a hand on his shoulder and his body tenses, "We'll have to wait a few weeks,"

Hopefully longer.

"It's tomorrow. I had it rescheduled before my flight to Italy," 

My eyes almost bulge out of their sockets and I reach for the glass of water on the coffee table in front of us. Damien puts his hand on the small of my back and it was my turn to internally cringe. 

Don't get me wrong, physical touch is my love language but this is just bloody awkward to do considering how we haven't had an actual conversation about any of this.

"Is that okay for you, tesoro?" Capo's voice is almost in a mocking tone.

I hate the name he called me so much. I don't even know what he's saying and I don't want to because I'm scared it's going to be something perverted.

I'm about to answer until Damien answers for me,

"Father? A word." 

Capo looks at him displeased but he stands up anyway, moving their conversation to his office. 

Now it's just me, the marriage counselor and the deafening silence. Her smile slightly falls as she looks at me with pity eyes. It's like she sees right through this whole marriage, as if it wasn't already etched out all over my face.

"I could help you if you want," She starts with a low voice, "You don't have to stay silent."

"I don't have any other choice but to," I sigh.

I guess stranger danger isn't a thing anymore.

"I can tell. The way Romano looked at you as you walked in said everything for me."

She rips out a piece of paper from one of the paper files in her hand and quickly scribbles her number on it before handing it to me. My hand reaches for it and stuffs in my pants pocket.

"Thank you,"

"Even if you want to for just a little while, I can use marriage as an excuse to get you out of here." 

I nod at her in appreciation but it gets cut short when we hear Capo and Damien approaching. I sit back in my seat and we give each other a last knowing look.  

"The wedding is being postponed this weekend. You have five days to prepare." Capo points in my direction, "Assicurati che si comporti bene."

Damien's death filled eyes fall onto mine and I immediately avoid eye contact. Every bone in my body is telling me to leave the room but if I do, he'll find a way to bring it back up. There's no running from this.

The marriage counselor stands up and leaves with Capo, the door slamming shut. I couldn't help but smile at the fact that I've connected with someone who understands a fraction of what I'm feeling.