[2] ᴍɪꜱᴇʀʏ

"Mikayla, Boss will kill me," Nik yells trying to pull me off the bed.

"But I don't want to go," I grumble into my pillow.

Arguing with Nik is so pointless because he always gets his way, but it's worth trying sometimes. 

As my bodyguard, he should be protecting me from people who want to disturb my sleep. Not interrupting it.

After yesterday, I'm not sure if I want to get out of bed ever again. I knew that Chase and I would've broken up either way since I'm going away, so I guess the situation made it easier for me.

"Miel, if you don't get up, I'll call Indigo myself to let you two talk it out-," Father appears in the doorway, "- and what was that boy's name again?"

I fling the pillow off my face as a pit grows in my stomach, "No. I don't want to talk to anyone,"

When I told father what happened, he insisted that blood should be shed but I had to stop him and let him know that it didn't really affect me, even though it did. 

He doesn't have to know that.

Chase found me when I was at the lowest point of my life and he made it his life's mission to pull me back to the surface. He managed to do it and life has been great ever since. However, this far into the breakup, I could feel myself slowly slipping back into my old habits before I met him. 

Staying up late and crying for hours on end have already been built into my routine, but it wasn't because I was sad.
It was because I was disgusted with myself for believing all of his cheating lies and for not standing up for myself.  

Why did he have to make me look like a lost puppy by tagging along? Why put me through that shit?

Before my mother died, she made me promise to stay strong, strong enough to stand up for what I believe in. But now, I feel like I failed her. Hugely. 

I honestly don't know how I didn't realize him and Indigo giving each other secret glances across the room. 

It was like I was being blinded by love that never existed.

I stand up, heading to my closet despite the pounding in my head, but it's quickly closed by Nik; the giant pain in the ass.

"You can get ready on the plane," His brittle voice speaks.

I roll my eyes as he signals to follow him to the car. 

 My father was kind enough to let me move into one of his spare houses in California because he wouldn't be in town for mafia-related reasons. We don't know for how long and he doesn't want to leave me unprotected without him. Unfortunately, I have to go to formal events in his place which is totally unreasonable. 

Nik and a few other bodyguards will look after me. My father trusts them with his whole heart so, it's unlikely something will happen to me. 

When I get in the car, I'm met with my father's warm embrace which slightly takes me aback. His embrace isn't foreign to me, but it isn't expected because he's always telling me how as a leader you can't show emotion. 

"Mikayla, stay out of trouble" He warns. 

I nod my head while managing to give him a small smile, even with my dry, cracked lips. He knows that's one of the first things I'll be doing at my new home, but he still bothers to waste his breath. 

I kiss his cheek before stepping into the back seat with Nik in the drivers'. The door shuts behind me and as I look out the window, my father signals to me to put my seat belt on. Nik chuckles at me and I kick his chair which only made him laugh harder.