[4] ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇ

I wake up to the sound of a drill twisting a screw in place. The exact same noise has been going on for three hours straight and it's affecting my sleep time. 

After Damien bought me food yesterday, he brought me to his house to 'get used to' after the wedding. I think he secretly felt bad for dragging me into his mafia drama. 

Guilt seems to have some people on a choke hold.

Father knows that I have never put my toe where it doesn't concern me and all of a sudden, a strong wind is pushing me way past the line into the world of crime.

I get up from my bed to grab my phone from the nightstand I left it on to charge. When I switch it on, I see missed calls and texts from Indigo, Chase and Nikolai.

Shit.

I didn't come home yesterday so Nikolai must have gone to search for my body in the bushes or something. 

I return his missed call and he picks up straight away.

"Mikayla? I swear to God this better be you," He says breathlessly.

I quietly laugh to myself, imagining a worried Nikolai, "It is. Damien took me to his house to get used to after the wedding,"

A knock is heard at the door,

"Nik, I have to go,"

"Mikayla," His voice warns but I still hang up.

I yell for whoever to come in and a short, redhead girl comes in with a cart full of food. Her big, green eyes are full of contempt. How can someone look so happy this early?

The name tag on her ironed white shirt reads: Katrina

I'm guessing she sees my confused face along with my heavy eye bags because she quickly fills me in.

"Boss is putting you on a lock down for your own safety," 

I let out a small sigh, throwing myself backwards onto the bed. The amount of times I've had to hear that this week alone is driving me crazy. 

She leaves the cart here, bowing at me before exiting the room. 

The smell of all the freshly made food hits my nose and I stare blankly at the different trays. The croissants, french toast and waffles sat there on their plates. I shake my head, taking a small apple from the fruit bowl and walking out of the room. 

I'm startled by Nik who's standing down the hall with my suitcase and bags. A big smile breaks onto my face as I rush down the hallway to greet him in my robe. 

"I thought you were at the house," I shove his arm.

"Nice to see you too," He rolls his eyes.

I didn't even see who Nik was talking to until he cleared his throat and I eyed him weirdly. 

His long, thick black hair was in pigtails and bright pink eye shadow was messily painted above his brown colored eyes. He was tall and had a lean but muscular frame. 

"Dante" A voice called from behind us. 

I turn around to meet Damien. I don't know why but I was expecting some sort of 'good morning' from him but instead, he walks past me not acknowledging me at all.