[3] ᴘᴀɪɴ

"No," My mouth sets in a hard line.

Nik turns to me with widened eyes, "Is everything a joke to you?"

I stare at him blankly, wondering if I look as serious as I feel.

"I'm not joking though." I turn to face Capo, "I'm not marrying you,"

Capo bursts out laughing, His voice roaring in the massive ballroom. People around don't dare to turn around to judge him the way they did to me, the consequences are too severe; presumably death.

"Tesoro. You're not marrying me. My little buddy barely moves the way it used to" He lets out another laugh and I squeeze my eyes shut hard in disgust, "You're marrying my son. Damien,"

I don't know if that's supposed to make me feel better because I don't.

Nik kicks my leg under the table to try and tell me, I need to finalise this deal. I shake my head to let him know how messed up this is.

"I want to talk to Papa,"

"You can't. He said only for emergencies," Nik whispers.

I have the urge to get out of my seat and yell at him for being so calm in this kind of situation.

"Nik. I'm being married off as a way to seal the deal. Let me speak with my father,"

I've never demanded anything from him. My father taught me to be polite to everyone despite the situation. But I've never been told what to do in a case where I was getting married off because no one in my family has ever gone through this before.

There's always a first time for everything, I guess.

Nik dials my father's number into the phone, reluctantly handing it over to me.

I bring it up to my ear, hearing a few rings before his voice grumbles on the other side of the phone. My grip tightens on it and every emotion inside of me wants to come pouring out of my heart.

"Hello? Nikolai, this better be important,"

All of a sudden, it feels like I'm talking to a complete stranger and not my father, the words struggling to escape my mouth,

"Papa?"

"Miel, what happened? Are you okay?"

"No." My voice breaks a little, "Nik and Capo are finalizing a deal, but the deal we have to make is unfair on me,"

"Miel, put me on the phone with Romano," His voice sounds raspier than usual but I don't question it.

I pass the phone to Capo who takes it with a smug face.

A few words are exchanged between them for a few minutes before it gets passed back into my possession.

"Mikayla,"

That's the first time I heard my father call me anything other than honey in four years.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry but you're going to do this. Your mother made a promise to Romano before you were even born" He sighs, "I'm working on a way to get you out of this."

I'm about to argue my case but the line goes dead and when I look up, I'm met with Capo's smug look on his face.

That's a low blow dude.

Everything about him makes me want to gorge his eyes out and force him to eat it. The way he flashes his yellow teeth in my direction every time he smiles aggravates my soul.