Chapter Sixteen

Greenwich Palace (February 1530)

"You are glowing Bess; I hope you are not starting to prefer the countryside to life at court now," Anne said, as the two women sat by the fireplace in Anne's chambers.

"What, do you think I am becoming a country bumpkin?" Bessie laughed light-heartedly.

"You just seem happier when you are away from court life."

Anne's tone was teasing, as always, but Bessie detected a hint of vulnerability within her friend's remark. She was well aware of the pressure that Anne was beginning to feel; Katherine's faction was still fighting hard to plot against her, and Anne was worried that the King was going to tire of her. Bessie reached out and grabbed Anne's hand.

"I am always happy when I am with my siblings and Mrs Morley, and away from the intensity of the court. But I am happiest when we are together and enjoying ourselves."

Any tension in Anne seemed to relax at Bessie's words, as she squeezed Bessie's hand.

"Well it is wonderful, then, that I have planned a ball with the King's Master of the Revels to welcome everyone back to court tomorrow evening," Anne said, with a wide smile, "Especially you."

"It sounds like a perfect occasion to wear that crimson gown you bought me for Christmas."

The two friends continued to chat and catch up deep into the night, about all manner of topics, until they both nodded off in their armchairs by the fire.

...

Bessie looked at her reflection in the looking glass as Anne's maid helped to style her hair. It was the night of the ball, and she hoped that her appearance would impress.

True to her word, she was wearing the deep crimson gown that Anne had gifted her for Christmas. The underskirt and bodice of the gown were decorated with an intricate gold pattern, and the neckline was square and low which accentuated her full breasts.

Her curly blonde hair cascaded down her back, but save for a few loose, curly tendrils, it was pulled back from her face by a couple of braids that Anne's maid had just finished carefully pinning in place.

What Bessie could not keep her eyes off, however, was the necklace that sat just above her breasts.

Edward's gift.

Bessie thanked Anne's maid as she left the room. Now alone, she reached up to touch the sparkling ruby. It was almost as if the necklace represented her connection with Edward. The dark red colour of the ruby invoked slight feelings of pain, but also overwhelming feelings of passion and warmth.

Bessie was so transfixed that she hardly registered Anne's quiet arrival in the room until she met her friend's curious gaze in the mirror. She jumped and quickly retracted her hand away from the necklace.

"You startled me, Anne," Bessie said, turning to face the other woman. Her gaze swept over Anne's beautiful silver gown, adorned with sparkling jewels and pearls. Her dark hair offered a wonderful contrast to the bright dress.

"You look truly divine," Bessie added.

"As do you, Bess," Anne replied, "I knew that dress would suit you perfectly."

Bessie smiled, hoping Anne would not mention her necklace.

"That necklace is gorgeous, Bess, where did you get it?"

Oh God, Bessie thought.

"I-uh...my father gifted it to me for Christmas."

The timing could not get any worse, for Bessie's father suddenly made his arrival in Anne's chambers only seconds later, with Anne's father close behind him.