Chapter Two

1515, France

Bessie was ushered into a room by Madame Colbert, who oversaw Queen Claude's maids of honour. The room was full of young girls chattering away in French, and as soon as they noticed Bess, they all went silent. Then the whispering started. She was a late arrival, and already felt greatly out of place. She kept her curly blonde head low to hide her flaming cheeks and was shown to her bed. As she started unpacking her belongings, trying not to draw attention to herself, a dark haired girl appeared in front of her.

"Bonjour enchanté de vous rencontrer, mon nom est Anne Boleyn. Nous n'avons pas rencontré avant, mais nous sommes cousins." (Hello delighted to meet you, my name is Anne Boleyn. We haven't met before but we are cousins.)

This was the girl father told me about, thought Bessie, and he also said she had an older sister.

"Bonjour, cousin Anne. Je m'appelle Bessie." (Hello cousin Anne, my name is Bessie)

Bessie looked at Anne more closely. Anne was obviously older than her, perhaps 14, and she had striking features; dark, sleek hair down to her hips, and beautiful, sharp eyes. What really stood out about Anne, however, was her confidence, and her poise in the way that she carried herself.

"Are you fluent in French?" Anne asked directly to Bessie.

"Yes, I can speak French, Spanish and a bit of Latin," Bessie replied.

"I am glad you have had a good education, the Queen values that greatly of her ladies."

Anne took in Bessie's dress and English gable hood and scrunched her nose slightly. "I must help you with your gowns, you practically look like a nun."

Bessie felt her lips twitch at Anne's remark. "Do I truly? You must help me become a true French lady, Anne. What is Queen Claude like?"

"She is a lovely and kind mistress to be truthful. She is pious, and she loves reading," Anne then dropped her voice to a whisper, "but she can be rather dull at times."

Bessie laughed "She sounds delightful."

"I do believe we are going to get on very well together, cousin."

Anne then proceeded to help Bessie with her belongings, remarking at how she needed to change her hideous gowns along the way.

....

1518

Lady Elizabeth Howard and Anne Boleyn became inseparable over the next few years; they grew up together and learnt the ways of the French court. They enjoyed following the latest French fashions, and slowly began to enjoy the game of flirtation that courtiers frequently played.

Anne at 17 years of age was practically a fully grown woman. Her confidence, style and sparkling wit quicky entranced anyone who met her. Bessie was also growing into a beautiful lady, her blonde curly hair cascaded down her back, and at 13 years of age, she had recently developed hips and breasts.

Both Anne and Bessie were the talk of the French court, given it was well-know amongst court gossips that they had not yet given away her maidenheads. Anne and Bessie were experts in the game of courtly love; they knew the ways of men, and they also enjoyed the chase. Bessie being younger, however, was perhaps more naïve than Anne, and was quick to blush at a man's flattery.

Anne's sister Mary had recently become King Francis' mistress, and Francis certainly wasn't shy about telling the whole court. Anne was deeply ashamed to be 'the English Mare's sister' and one night she drew Bessie to a corner of the dance hall, whilst yet again Francis had pulled Mary out of the room to spend another night with her.

"Bessie, can we make a promise to each other?" she asked, looking at her friend intently.

"Of course, Anne, what is it?"

"Let us promise that we will never be used by a man and then discarded as my sister has been."

"I promise, Anne."

Anne and Bessie clasped each other's hands and smiled, then proceeded to joint he revellers on the dance floor, where many men were clamouring for their hands.

Author's note:

Just letting you know Bessie Howard is completely fictional, and I am basing the other characters both off history and the tv show the Tudors (Madame Colbert is also fictional!)

Hope you enjoyed it, comment if you have any ideas/are enjoying the story :)