Chapter Thirteen

Hampton Court Palace (June 1529)

The court was abuzz with the news of the long-awaited Legatine Court Proceedings. For the King and Anne, however, the court gossip was for all the wrong reasons. A verdict had yet to have been reached, with Campeggio stalling once again. But the worst of all was the actions of Queen Katherine. Her impassioned and brave speech that she gave, before the King on her knees, was being lauded by both the court and the general public.

The King was furious. If anything, the Queen's speech only further proved to him his need and desire to remarry. He was often seen stomping around the court and losing his temper with his ministers. In particular, Wolsey's influence was hanging on by a thin thread.

Anne was also temperamental. Bessie had tried to support her friend as best as she could, omitting the respect that she held for the actions of the Queen.

Currently, the two women were trying to enjoy the usual entertainment in Anne's rooms. Mark Smeaton, a new musician in Anne's service, was playing a cheerful tune on his lute to try and lighten up the mood of the room.

"Isn't Mr Smeaton's music wonderful, Anne?" Bessie said, smiling at the young musician.

"It is lovely," admitted Anne, though her gaze was travelling around the room of courtiers. "But it does not drown out all the gossips in this room."

It was true. Even Bessie could hear the hushed whispers. Jane Boleyn, nee Rochford, the wife of Anne's brother, was particularly relishing the latest scandal.

"Your brother's wife is loving it," Bessie remarked quietly to Anne. Neither of them harboured an affection for Jane.

Anne scoffed and rolled her eyes, though she quickly straightened her posture and fixed a smile when the King arrived with a large group of gentlemen. The King was in deep conversation with Charles Brandon, though, so did not come to his beloved straight away.

Bessie quickly scanned the group, and as always, her heart skipped slightly when she saw Edward.

Her feelings quickly soured, however, when she saw him make his way over to Jane Boleyn. He said something to her quietly, to which she made a show of laughing heartily. He then looked at Bessie, to make sure she was watching.

She wished she could not pander to his games. They left her with waves of jealousy and unpleasant feelings. He greatly infuriated her.

"It bothers you, doesn't it?" asked Anne, making Bessie tear her gaze away from Edward and Jane Rochford.

"Yes," Bessie admitted reluctantly, "But I cannot do a great deal about it."

"Of course you can," said Anne, a knowing glint in her eye, "You need to make him jealous too. Flirt with another gentleman. Make him regret letting you go."

Bessie thought for a moment. "But which gentleman?"

Anne surveyed the room, and her eyes landed on Thomas Wyatt.

"You could have any of them if you wished to Bess. But...Wyatt. He is clearly attracted to you, and unhappily married."

"Very well," Bessie said, with a small smile on her face.

Bessie stood and made her way over to Tom, plastering her brightest smile on her face. He was sat by the window and writing in his composition journal.

"Bess!" he exclaimed, visibly pleased to see her.

"Well met, Tom," she bobbed him a quick curtsey. "I am so glad to see you."

"And why is that?" he asked, with a teasing smile.