Chapter Fifteen

Kenninghall (December 1529)

Bessie readjusted her hands in her fur muff hand warmer. It was a wonderfully crisp winter day. Her exposed cheeks and nose had turned a vivid pink in the cold, the lake had completely frozen over, and the frosted cobwebs that littered the garden plants resembled intricate lace patterns.

Holding onto the crook of her arm was Mrs Morely. Her old nurse and close friend was nearing her seventieth year. Despite needing some assistance to walk further distances, however, she was still as shrewd as ever. Indeed, she was still a valued member of the Howard household and continued to look after Bessie's growing siblings.

Bessie was greatly relieved to have returned to her family home for the foreseeable future, and away from the poisonous chaos of the King's court. For over the last few months, Wolsey had finally fallen. His undoing ultimately derived from his failure to obtain a divorce for the King, but Bessie had witnessed Anne and her faction carefully working behind the scenes to hasten the Cardinal's fall. In particular, the rumour that he was liaising with other foreign leaders infuriated the King, and Wolsey was stripped of his titles and banished from court.

Anne had won, and she was jubilant. Suffolk, Norfolk and the others who resented Wolsey were also ecstatic in their victory.

But Bessie was tired. Whilst she was steadfastly loyal to Anne, and partly pleased for her friend's happiness, she was glad to be away from the bitter factionalism of the court.

Moreover, her father had decided to stay for Christmas at Greenwich Palace with the royal court, meaning Kenninghall exuded a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere.

"So my dear Bess, who are your lucky suitors at the moment?"

Mrs Morely's soothing voice disrupted Bessie from her wandering thoughts.

"Suitors? You know my Lord Father is particular about who courts me," Bessie replied, with a rueful smile.

Mrs Morely patted Bessie's arm.

"Now child, whilst your father has not yet found you a suitable suitor, you are a beautiful young lady. I am certain you have many gentlemen competing for your attention," she said, her eyes crinkling in mirth.

Bessie's thoughts automatically turned to Edward. She tried in vain to prevent the blush from forming upon her face and avoided Mrs Morely's eyes.

"Ah! So there is a young man," Mrs Morely teased, now thoroughly enjoying Bessie's discomfort, and squeezing her arm.

"I-," Bessie started, but Mrs Morely started to chuckle to herself.

"Ah Bess, I know you too well. Come, tell me about him."

Bessie did not know where to begin. She could not, of course, reveal Edward's name. But their garden meeting, their first kiss, his return to court, their moment after the chapel, and the hunting trip all flashed through her mind.

He had been away from court the last few months on a diplomatic mission for the King, but before she had left for Kenninghall, they had crossed paths in the corridors of the palace on a few occasions.

These thoughts all made her feel warm inside, and frankly, on the outside too, judging by the heat in her face.

"Very well. There is one man. I first met him many years ago in France, and my god, he infuriates me. He has also hurt my feelings. But every time I am with him, the connection between us is so strong, I have never experienced anything like it."

Mrs Morely listened attentively to Bessie's description.

"It sounds as if you care for him deeply, dear. Sometimes those we love the most can also hurt us the most too."